Our graduates will demonstrate verbal and non-verbal communication and interpersonal skills and strategies that result in respectful, compassionate and effective decision-making and exchanges of information with patients, families, members of the healthcare team and other colleagues.
In engaging with patients and their families, academic and clinical team members, graduates will:
- Listen empathically and effectively to patients, colleagues and teachers.
- Write clearly at an appropriate level for patients, colleagues and teachers.
- Communicate information clearly to patients, colleagues and teams. Demonstrate closed-loop communication skills.
- Facilitate difficult healthcare conversations with patients and colleagues.
- Display awareness of barriers, including language, health literacy and psychosocial needs.