Visiting student rotations are designed for students who are enrolled in their final year of medical school and have already completed one full year of in-hospital clinical training. Visitors must have previously completed basic clerkships in internal medicine, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics and surgery. Certain specialty electives may have prerequisites; check each listing in the elective catalog for details.
Because we use the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) system for receiving and processing visiting student applications, we can only accept applications from students who attend the following types of institutions:
- U.S. medical school: Any LCME-accredited medical school located in the United States or Puerto Rico
- Osteopathic medical school: Any AOA-accredited Osteopathic medical school
- Selected students from our Global Partner institutions: A current list of institutions can be found on the Global Partners page and on the Global Partner Application form
Unfortunately, we can no longer accept applicants from schools located outside the contiguous 48 states, Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico, with the exception of Global Partner institutions.
A fully executed affiliation agreement must be in place before a visiting student can rotate at Feinberg. For a listing of institutions with affiliation agreements in place, see the most recent affiliation agreement report.
Clerkship assignments for visiting students are made after our own students’ schedules have been completed for the upcoming academic year. Northwestern students always have priority on available clerkships.
Do not contact course directors, coordinators or faculty for any reason during the application process. Contacting any of these parties may result in your ineligibility for current and future rotations.
VSAS Application Requirements
Requirements Completed by Student
- CV/Resume (please upload document as PDF)
- USMLE Step 1 score or COMLEX score: Submit a scan your score report.
- Immunization/Health Form: All students applying through VSAS must use the AAMC Standardized Immunization Form. Upload the completed three page form and supporting labs and documents as a single PDF in the immunization forms section of VSAS.
- Health Insurance: Submit a scan of the front and back of your insurance card.
- Application for Students Underrepresented in Medicine Program: If you don't want to apply for or don’t qualify for the stipend program, please upload a blank document or other statement to that effect.
- Visiting Student Policy Acknowledgement
- BLS or ACLS Certification: Submit a scan of your BLS or ACLS completion card.
Requirements Completed by School Official (e.g., Registrar, Clinical Coordinator)
- Letter of recommendation: This letter must be written by a faculty member who has observed you clinically and must comment on your clinical abilities and performance. Some departments have specific letter of recommendation requirements. Please refer to the elective descriptions for details. Only documents that have a faculty member's signature and are written on official letterhead will be accepted.
- Current transcript with key
- Feinberg School of Medicine Assessment Form Agreement: Effective May 1, 2019, all visiting students at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine will be graded using our assessment form.
- Verification of medical liability and/or malpractice insurance: Students are required to have coverage of $1 million per occurrence/$3 million aggregate. If school does not provide this, student will need to purchase supplemental coverage and submit Certificate of Insurance prior to beginning rotation.
Check the elective descriptions on VSAS carefully. Some departments have specific requirements in addition to those mentioned above. For example, many electives also require a personal statement.
No documentation will be accepted via postal mail, fax, in an email or email attachment. All application documents must be submitted through VSAS only. For more information, please visit the VSAS site or contact VSAS at firstname.lastname@example.org or 202-478-9878.