Duo Device Health
Feinberg’s current device security apps, BigFix and F5/Big-IP will be replaced by Duo Device Health (DDH). This change will provide a superior user experience while advancing Feinberg IT security measures. DDH verifies that desktop and laptop computers have supported operating systems, encryption, and anti-virus software before allowing access to multi-factor authentication-enabled university resources, including email.
For more information and to learn about what you can do to prepare for the change, please review our Frequently Asked Questions below. If you have additional questions about Duo Device Health, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org via email.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Duo Device Health application?
The Duo Device Health application is a compliance tool installed on your desktop or laptop. It checks your device for disk encryption and anti-malware whenever you access certain university resources protected by multi-factor authentication, ensuring that your device meets basic security hygiene.
Why is the Duo Device Health application important?
Who is impacted?
What to expect?
Feinberg-managed device: The Duo Device Health application is installed automatically on your device with compatible operating system versions, including Windows 10, macOS 10.15, or later.
Personally-owned device: You will be prompted to install the application on your device the first time you access a university resource. Your device must have a compatible operating system, disk encryption, and anti-malware software.
What operating systems are compatible with the Duo Device Health application?
Supported operating systems include:
- Windows 10 and above
- Pro, Education, and Enterprise editions only
- macOS 10.15 and above
Unsupported operating systems include:
- Windows 7 or earlier
- Windows Home edition is not supported (see above)
- macOS 10.14 or earlier
Alternatively, NUworkspace is a virtual desktop suitable for accessing NU services without the requirement for Duo Device Health application.
Which anti-virus software are compatible with the Duo Device Health application?
All Feinberg-managed devices have CrowdStrike Falcon installed automatically. Other supported anti-malware software for personally-owned devices include:
- Windows 10+: Windows Defender, McAfee Endpoint Security, Sophos AV, Symantec Endpoint Protection, Trend, Micro Apex One
- macOS: McAfee Endpoint Security, Sophos AV, Symantec Endpoint Protection, Trend Micro Apex One
What if I use a personally-owned computer?
You will need to enable full disk encryption on your macOS (version 10.15 and above) using FileVault or BitLocker on a Windows 10 computer. You will also need to install a compatible anti-malware application and the Duo Device Health application.
To install the Duo Device Health application:
- Download the DUO Device Health Application for Windows
- Download the DUO Device Health Application for Mac
To remove the Big-IP Edge/F5 client:
- Select Start
- Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features
- Select BIG-IP Edge Client
- Select Uninstall
- Make sure the Big IP client is not running
- Move the F5 VPN icon to the trash in the Applications folder
What if I use a phone or tablet to access Duo-fronted resources?
What if I use an NM, Lurie, or Shirley Ryan computer?
- Shirley Ryan AbilityLab: Your institution already uses DDH on AbilityLab-managed devices.
- Lurie Childrens': You will not be impacted by DDH on your Lurie Childrens'-managed devices at this time.
- NMHC: If you require access to Northwestern University email, or Northwestern University OneDrive or SharePoint, DDH must be installed on your NMHC device. Impacted individuals will have DDH automatically installed on their NMHC devices in advance of January 9. If on or after January 9 you experience difficulty accessing university systems or resources, please contact 6-HELP for technical support. DDH is not required for university systems including MyHR, InfoEd, and Egencia.
What if I am unable to access MFA-enabled applications from my computer?
How do I know the Duo Health application is installed and running on my computer?
When the DDH app is installed, an icon will appear in the status bar or menu bar of your computer. For Feinberg-owned devices, you will be prompted to install the application (if you don’t have it installed) when attempting to access NU resources.
- Windows: (Search your computer for “Duo Device Health”).
What policies are associated with the Duo Device Health Application?
Yes, Feinberg devices are subject to university policies, specifically:
Please contact email@example.com for additional support.