- To provide high quality histocompatibility services to all investigators in the Feinberg School of Medicine and the larger Northwestern University research community.
- To develop state-of-the-art assays to improve selection and monitoring for solid organ and stem cell transplantation.
- To provide consultation on all aspects of histocompatibility testing in transplantation, autoimmunity, infectious diseases and allergy.
- The Histocompatibility and Engraftment Monitoring Core is located at 300 E. Superior Street, Tarry Bldg 11th Floor, Chicago, IL 60611. It is a component of the Comprehensive Transplant Center (CTC) under the direction of Dr. Anat R.Tambur who has over twenty years of experience in histocompatibility testing and transplant immunology. The core also includes two supervisors, a manager, senior and junior technologists with extensive experience in multiple tests related to solid organ and stem cell transplantation.
- The Histocompatibility and Engraftment Monitoring Core is accredited by the American Society for Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics and Dr. Tambur is certified by the American Board of Histocompatibility as a laboratory director and a clinical consultant.
- We offer a verity of high complexity laboratory assays, all performed under strict CLIA guidelines. Consultation regarding clinical interpretation of these assays is also available.
- The Histocompatibility and Engraftment Monitoring is one of a handful centers within the US certified by ASHI as a training facility for future HLA laboratory directors. Currently we have 2 trainees on site.
The Histocompatibility and Engraftment Monitoring Core currently provides the following services to the investigators of the CTC as well as other investigators in Northwestern University. Investigators will be responsible for the costs incurred for their projects.
- HLA typing for class I and class II antigens
- low resolution by SSP
- intermediate resolution by SSO
- high resolution by SBT
- HLA class I and class II antibody assessment
- PRA analysis and cPRA calculations
- Single Antigen Bead (SAB) assays by luminex
- Single Antigen High Definition assays by flow cytometry
- Complement (C1q) binding analysis
- IgG3 subtype analysis
- Titration studies for antibody strength assessment
- T and B Lymphocyte flow cytometric crossmatch
- Donor Specific
- Surrogate for Shared Epitope analysis and other investigation
- Engraftment monitoring with 21 genetic markers using STR analysis
Starting a Project
To discuss starting a transplant specific project using the services of the Histocompatibility Core of the Comprehensive Transplant Center, please contact:
Anat Tambur, MD, PhD
Hayden Polancich, MPH
Anat R. Tambur, DMD, PhD
Director, Histocompatibility and Engraftment Monitoring Core
Download Core Brochure