Funding Updates & Journal Entries
Position funding updates and journal entries must adhere to the FSM payroll deadlines published on our monthly calendar. Below are additional guidelines and resources for processing these transactions.
For instructions on how to update funding in myHR, please see the Deployed Funding Guide. For instructions on how to change funding within 90 days in myHR and complete a journal entry, please see Changing Funding Retroactively with Journal Entry. Journals submitted within 90 days of the start date must be accompanied by any necessary and fully approved position funding updates that reflect the journal needed.
Over 90 Day Journals
Retroactive salary transfers between chartstrings for charges over 90 days can be entered in myHR using the existing myHR "Enter Journals" panel. Feinberg requires the following documents to be attached to over-90-day journals entered in myHR:
- Signed 90-Day Justification Memo
- Journal Entry Salary Template
- Certified Effort Report, if applicable and available
Any 90-day memos involving sponsored projects require signature(s), wet, electronic or via email, from the PI(s). School-level approvals on the 90-day memo and journal entry are applied via the electronic approval workflow.
Journals still need to be processed on paper if they are:
- Over 12 months old from the start date of the journal
- A transfer between a payroll and a scholarship/stipend account
- Over-90-day journals for temp employees
In addition to the required attachments listed above, paper journal packets must also include:
- 90 Day Salary Journal Form with PTA approvals for all chart strings affected
- Print out of GL Journal View for affected periods
- Print out of Paycheck Distribution pages for affected periods
For paper journals involving sponsored projects, the procedure outlined by the Office of Cost Studies for routing and approvals must be followed:
- Interim Email Routing and Approval Procedure for "Paper" Journals
- For Dean's Office approval, paper journal packets should be sent to FSM-Payroll@northwestern.edu
For additional guidance and information, see the following resources:
- myHR Administration: Online Over 90 Day Journals
- myHR Administration: Payroll Journal Update
- HRS102: myHR Deployed Funding - Entering Payroll Journals
- Financial Operations: 90 Day Rule Policy and FAQs
- ASRSP & Cost Studies:
- Salary Cost Transfer Journals: Documentation & Submission Steps
- Revised Procedure: Over 90 Day Memo Preparer and PI/Supervisor Approvals for Salary Cost Transfer Journals submitted in myHR
- Over 90 Day Cost Transfers to Sponsored Projects - Effort Reporting Checklist
- Over 90 day Salary Journals: Best Practices
- Over 90 day Salary Journal Memos: Dos and Don'ts
Journal entry salary templates can be used to calculate payroll journal entries needed for retroactive funding changes and are a required attachment for over 90 day journals.