See the Hiring Decision Tree to learn how to pay individuals for additional or supplemental work or service. All supplemental payments must be fully approved before the service occurs. Supplemental payments may also be subject to review by the Position Approval Committee (PAC). For more information, access to required forms and a current list of requests which require PAC approval, please visit Northwestern's page on the Position Management Process.
Additional pay is used to provide additional supplemental payment to individuals that are currently active, paid employees. Additional pays are entered online in myHR. Access to the additional pay panel in myHR can be obtained by submitting an HR Systems General Access Request Form and attending the required training.
- Entering Online Additional Pay
- Additional Pay for Non-Exempt Employees
- Biweekly Employee Additional Pay Calculator
The Additional Pay Request form for Summer Salary is used to request summer research wages for faculty. Summer salary may represent up to 3/9 of the faculty member’s annual salary and is paid out when the effort is performed. It is calculated in myHR as flat amounts. Therefore, any change in the monthly salary an additional sequence number and line must be noted.
For more information regarding online additional pays, all school-wide updates and approval routing, please see Northwestern’s page on the Additional Pay Process. All staff add pay requests are subject to Position Approval Committee (PAC).
Special pay is used to provide specific, pre-approved payments to individuals who are not currently receiving a paycheck. A Personal Data Form must be included if the individual does not have an employee ID or if the individual's address has changed since the last payment.
All special pay requests are subject to review and approval by the Position Approval Committee (PAC). For more information, access to required forms and a current list of request types which require PAC approval, please visit Northwestern's page on the Position Management Process.
- Special Pay Request Form
- Temporary/Contractor Request Form or Temporary Student Request Form
- Personal Data Form if individual does not have an employee ID or address has changed since last payment
Departments may request PAC approval using their established departmental Position Management Process or submit the special pay request and temporary request forms in OnBase to be routed to PAC by the Office of Finance and Administration on the department’s behalf. It is recommended that recurring requests or identical requests for multiple individuals are submitted by the department for PAC approval in advance of submitting in OnBase. For one-time payment requests, please use the following procedure:
OnBase Submission Process for PAC Review
- Department completes each required form and obtains any necessary approvals that are not included in the OnBase workflow (ASRSP and/or HR Compensation).
- Attach Special Pay Form and Temporary Request Form (and Personal Data Form, if necessary) and submit in OnBase
- Office of Finance and Administration will submit the request to PAC for review
- Approval by PAC will be notated on the OnBase request and routed to HR Operations
- Department will receive approval notification when the request has been approved and routed to HR Operations
- Department will receive an email notification when the request has been processed by HR Operations
The Position Approval Committee reviews special pay requests once a week with an expected turnaround time of two to three weeks.
For additional resources for submitting payroll paperwork, see OnBase.
Affordable Care Act (ACA) Payments
Affordable Care Act (ACA)–toggled appointments are to be used when the nature of service does not fall into one of the approved special pay categories and the person has an unpaid, active appointment (e.g., Contributed Services, Adjunct).
ACA payments should be requested using pre-populated Position/Appointment forms and submitted in OnBase. Transactions should be labeled A to start the paid assignment and B to return to the unpaid appointment.
- To print pre-populated position/appointment forms, see Position Data/Appointment Forms (p. 74) of myHR Data Lookup & Admin Process Guide
- If the primary department is different from the paying department, contact the primary department to print the forms
- HR Status Effective Dates and Action/Reasons
- A: Start date of paid assignment, PAY/SRT
- B: Start date of return to unpaid appointment, PAY/SRT
- Pay Group
- A: MOF
- B: OTH
- Compensation Rate
- A: Monthly rate
- B: $0
- Appointment End Date
- A: End date of paid assignment
- B: Original end date of unpaid appointment or return to Indefinite End to Appointment
- Include a description of the nature of service at the bottom of the form
Position Data Form
- Position Information Effective Dates and Action/Reasons
- A: Start date of paid assignment, POS/HRS
- B: Start date of return to unpaid appointment, POS/HRS
- Std Hours
- A: Hours calculated from Adjunct Faculty Hours Calculations
- B: 1
- NW Position Distribution
- Include funding distribution using account code 60040 (occasional salary)
- Submit in OnBase, selecting "Position/Appointment Form" and "Salary Change” as transaction type.
- For additional resources for submitting payroll paperwork, see OnBase.
For additional resources and example position/appointment forms, see: