Non-Merit Salary Increases
While it is strongly encouraged that any salary changes are addressed during the annual merit process, outlined below is the process to request non-merit salary increases for faculty, research faculty and research staff.
This form is not required for:
- Merit increases given during reappointments not occurring on September 1 that conform to the year’s merit pool.
- For FY22, the current merit pool is 3%.
- Increases to the appropriate NRSA stipend level for postdocs, regardless if they are a NRSA or non-NRSA postdoctoral fellow.
- Reclassifications of current employees between or to research faculty or research staff positions.
For regular staff requests, please refer to Feinberg's Position Management Process for additional details.
To request a non-merit salary increase, the below form should be completed in its entirety and approved prior to submission of position/appointment paperwork in OnBase:
- If the type of request is Promotion, this form will be reviewed for the request of the salary increase portion only. The title change will still require approval by the Faculty Affairs Office following their standard process. The approved form should be attached when the promotion request is submitted to Faculty Affairs.
- For NM Faculty, please submit the salary increase request to MD Comp for approval prior to completing this form. MD Comp approval should be attached with the request form upon submission for review.
- For request types Promotion, Other, or Salary Change, Additional Information is required. However, additional information may be provided for any request type for consideration during review.
- For Equity requests, please complete Equity Comps to include salaries to which the request is being compared.
Completed forms and any other required documentation should be submitted to FSM-Payroll@northwestern.edu with "Non-Merit Increase for [Department Name]" in the email's Subject line.
If the request has been approved, position/appointment forms to process the salary increase should be completed and submitted in OnBase with the approved form attached as Supporting Documentation.