Fiscal Year-End Close
FY23 Close Materials
To make for a simple closing process, monitor your budgets throughout the year and complete the following tasks:
- Enter all payroll journals and suspense corrections.
- Submit all invoices to Accounts Payable for outstanding requisitions.
- Approve all payment requests and expense reports.
- Reconcile all My Wallet charges and enter all My Wallet expense reports.
- Enter all cost share transfers to zero out funds 191, 192 and 193. Account code 88295/88595 must be used regardless of the type of fund that is being used.
- Confirm that your department/division has enough expense authority to accomplish all closing tasks, including funding cost share.
- Enter any budget journals through the NUPortal.
- Balance all internal transfers (88298/88598)
- Fund all deficits (except for recharge centers, fund 160). This can be accomplished through one of three ways: receiving revenue, correc_ng revenue or expense or entering a transfer journal.
- Make all deposits prior to workday close on Aug. 31 or any given fiscal year for that revenue to be included in that fiscal year.
- Send all Accounts Receivables with backup (copies of invoices) to the Office of Finance & Administration. If backup is to exceed five pages a coversheet for the backup is necessary. The coversheet should include the page number of the invoice and the corresponding journal line number. Please check the definition of an Account Receivable to see if it’s appropriate for your department/chart string.
- Request any new chart strings.
- Request to close chart strings no later than 10 days prior to fiscal year end to be assured they are closed for the upcoming fiscal year. All chart strings requesting to be closed must be accompanied by a GL005 showing a current balance of zero.
- NMCat/NMGrat chartstrings will be funded automatically based on availability of funds. A spreadsheet for non-NMCat/NMGrant chartstrings will be uploaded to departments’ Sharepoint Year End Closing folder. Update the spreadsheet with the chart string and amount request and upload to the folder. Upload copies of the GL005s for NMCat/NMGrant designated chart string. Upload the GL008s and, if applicable, the HR004, with the specific expense transactions highlighted for the non-NMCat/NMGrant designated chart strings and any other relevant information/reports to the folder as backup documentation, adhering to FSM fiscal year close deadlines. This pertains to all Commitments (NMCat/NMGrant, NMH Grant, Chair Discretionary, Dean’s Commitments, etc.) except for Appropriation. An email will be sent to departments when the original spreadsheet has been uploaded to Sharepoint. If you have any questions, please contact Rachel Rufer. Please see the commitment website for more information.
- If entering a transfer journal that is 15 lines or more, it is appropriate to use a spreadsheet journal. Remember to save your spreadsheet journal as macro-enabled.
- Remember: Transfer journals take away from your control balance.
- Balance Sheet & Spreadsheet Journals
- Actuals Journals
- Reconciling Budgets
- NUFinancials Budget Searches
- NUFinancials Budget Adjustments
- Approvals and Workflow
- Payment Request at Fiscal Year End Job Aid
- Run and Schedule Reports