Corporate cards are intended to streamline and simplify the purchasing process for certain types of transactions. They are tools that facilitate timely acquisition of materials and supplies, reduce transaction costs and automate data flow for accounting purposes. Corporate cards should never be used to avoid or bypass the current university policies and procedures.
All purchases must be made in compliance with the following policies and procedures:
- Northwestern University Corporate Cardholder Guide
- Feinberg School of Medicine Corporate Cardholder Guide
- Purchasing and Payment Policy and Procedures
- Travel, Entertainment & Courtesy Policy
All cardholders, allocators, reviewers and post auditors are expected to understand and follow all of the above policies and procedures. Intentional misuse or fraudulent use will result in personal liability and/or disciplinary action. The corporate card is not transferable and may not be used by anyone other than the cardholder.
Only current staff are allowed to obtain a corporate card (no faculty member, temporary employees, visiting postdocs, work-study, contractors or affiliates).
To request a card, review all policies and procedures listed above, then complete and submit the online Northwestern Corporate Card Application and Agreement Form.
Do not check the Travel and Entertainment box on the application. Because these cards cannot be used for travel and entertainment (other than catering brought into the university, alcohol is unallowable), the application will be sent back to you for revision if this box is checked.
The application will be sent for approval from your department, the medical school and the Corporate Card Office. If approved and once the card is received, the Corporate Card Office will contact you via email with information regarding mandatory online corporate card training. You’ll receive the card after completing training.
The standard starting credit limits are $2,500 per transaction and $5,000 per month. If you require a higher limit, please email Rachel Rufer with a compelling reason. Please keep in mind that these cards are not meant to replace using NUFinancials for placing orders.
Itemized receipts are required for all purchases, and all purchases must be tax exempt. Purchases must be reconciled monthly via a My Wallet expense report. Any unreconciled transactions over 90 days will result in the card being suspended.
A corporate card cannot be used for the following types of transactions:
- Dining out at restaurants (may be used to cater in for special events that are within university policies and procedures and have been approved)
- Alcoholic beverages
- Cellular phones/pagers
- Club memberships
- Purchases made on auction sites (e.g., eBay)
- Individual purchases of $5,000 or more, including capital equipment
- Purchases to vendors that do not accept the university’s tax-exempt status
- Cash advances
- Personal purchases
This list is not comprehensive; the university reserves the right to deny any purchase made to a questionable vendor.
My Wallet is the process used for accounting and reconciling charges made with corporate cards. We recommend you reconcile charges weekly; it is required monthly to be reconciled on a monthly basis. Cards will be suspended if transactions are not reconciled within 90 days.
To access My Wallet:
- Log into the NUPortal.
- Select NUFinancials.
- Navigate to My Wallet: Navigator > Employee Self Service > Travel and Expenses > My Wallet
- Enter employee ID or name and click search; choose results.
- Select Finish.
Visit myHR Learn for training on the following topics:
- Entering an Expense Report for My Wallet Transactions Exercise
- My Wallet Transactions Expense Report Training Guide
- My Wallet Webinar Slides Presentation
Manager, Financial Administration