Apartment Finder Services
Apartment finder and real estate service companies receive a commission (usually equivalent to one month's rent) from owners or management companies for locating and referring potential renters to their properties. These services have been successful in assisting hundreds of students, but before you choose to work with one of these companies, review the pros and cons list at the bottom of the page and read our suggested questions to ask.
Students frequently use the following services:
- Berkshire Hathaway Home Services: Terri Franklin specializes in working with medical students. Contact her at 312-758-0880.
StudentSpace provides a free service for Feinberg students to help them find housing near the medical school or near public transportation that takes them there. StudentSpace can help secure housing remotely if you’re not able to travel to Chicago for your housing search. Please contact StudentSpace at email@example.com
Questions to Ask
Here are some sample questions to ask apartment finder representatives:
- What services do you offer to apartment seekers? Are all services free?
- What neighborhood(s) are your specialty areas?
- I am not familiar with the Chicago area. What important information can you provide about relocating to Chicago?
- What is the process of working with you? How do you operate?
- Will you be available when I need you? How hard will you work for me?
- Do I really need an apartment finder service? What is the advantage of using an apartment finder service when I can conduct the search on my own?
- Do you know any tips to getting a great deal on an apartment? How can I get the best rental rate?
- How much money can I save using your service instead of going directly to a property management company?
Other Search Tools
Other apartment search tools that may be helpful include: