Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, founded in 1859, attracts talented individuals to its faculty, staff, and student body through its cutting-edge research initiatives, superb clinical affiliates, global outlook, and innovative curriculum. Located in the heart of Chicago’s Magnificent Mile, Feinberg has built a national reputation for excellence through a strong history of collaborative, interdisciplinary medical education and research, and along with Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Northwestern Medical Group is part of the premier academic medical center known as Northwestern Medicine. Feinberg stands out among the nation's research-intensive medical schools and consistently receives high marks in U.S. News & World Report surveys. Through its affiliates, it provides patient care to thousands of individuals every year, and plays an integral part in the communities it serves.
Our mission is to impact the practice of medicine through discovery and education.
The pursuit of excellence requires a learning organization grounded in leadership, innovation, and compassionate care that can translate new knowledge into better human health.
These attributes are interwoven by professionalism dedicated to teamwork, collegiality, and social and intellectual diversity.
Such values promote the best interests of medicine and further strengthen our social contract with the community we serve.
- Feinberg holds the No. 17 spot in the 2017 U.S. News & World Report ranking of top research-oriented medical schools in the country. Among departmental rankings, Pediatrics ranked 14th, Women’s Health ranked 10th and Internal Medicine ranked 17th. Feinberg’s Department of Physical Therapy and Human Movement Sciences ranked 6th in the listing of best physical therapy programs in the country. The school also moved up in the 2017 U.S. News ranking of the best medical schools for primary care, rising 12 spots to 17th.
- Feinberg continues to ascend the National Institutes of Health funding rankings, moving from No. 39 in 2001 to No. 16 in 2016.
- In the U.S. News & World Report lists of Honor Roll hospitals, Northwestern Memorial Hospital ranked 8th, Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago ranked 6th and the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago ranked No. 1 for the twenty-sixth consecutive year for 2016-17.
Students have opportunities to participate in nearly 70 student organizations and 18 global clinical experiences. In the 2015-2016 academic year, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine serves 638 MD students and 1135 residents and fellows. Learn more about the student population from academic years 2015 to 2020.
Class of 2020
The Class of 2020 is made up of a diverse group of students from different cultural, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.
Learn more about the Class of 2020.
Our faculty of approximately 3,700 members teach and conduct basic and clinical research through:
- Seven basic science departments
- Twenty clinical departments
- Thirty centers
- Ten institutes
Research at a Glance
- Feinberg provides 65 percent of all research across Northwestern University.
- Researchers received 1,870 awards totaling $443.1 million in the 2015-2016 academic year.
- The Feinberg School of Medicine has approximately 1,130,000 net square feet of space, of which just over 640,000sf is dedicated to research. This total includes over 100,000sf of wet lab space renovated within the last three years, and 80,000sf of newly-acquired dry lab research space over the same time period. Since 2009, Feinberg has invested more than $120,000,000 in renovating almost 370,000 net square feet of owned and leased space.
- Nearly 1,000 clinical trials take place at Feinberg and its affiliates every year.
The redesigned curriculum launched in fall 2012, and focuses on four major elements:
- Clinical Medicine centers on the development of clinical skills, including medical decision-making and clinical reasoning, and patient safety and quality improvement.
- Science in Medicine fosters the scientific knowledge necessary to practice medicine.
- Health and Society explores ways in which wellness is promoted in a population, including health disparities and outcomes, as well as the global integration of medicine with societal elements.
- Professional Development includes topics for personal and professional development, such as teamwork and leadership.
Contact Feinberg School
Chicago Campus Map
Online Store- Feinberg and Northwestern Medicine Gear
The Feinberg app delivers mobile access to school information, including news, events, online directory and campus maps. Learn more or visit the app store on your device.