Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, founded in 1859, attracts talented individuals to its faculty, staff, and student body through its cutting-edge research initiatives, superb clinical affiliates, global outlook, and innovative curriculum. Located in the heart of Chicago’s Magnificent Mile, Feinberg has built a national reputation for excellence through a strong history of collaborative, interdisciplinary medical education and research, and along with Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Northwestern Medical Group is part of the premier academic medical center known as Northwestern Medicine. Feinberg stands out among the nation's research-intensive medical schools and consistently receives high marks in U.S. News & World Report surveys. Through its affiliates, it provides patient care to thousands of individuals every year, and plays an integral part in the communities it serves.
The defining mission of Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine is to mentor and educate students to become exceptional, compassionate and innovative physicians, educators, and researchers. We expect our students to be inquiry-driven team leaders who will serve their patients, communities, and society.
- Feinberg holds the No. 19 spot in the 2015 U.S. News & World Report ranking of top research-oriented medical schools in the country. Among departmental rankings, women's health ranks No. 9, internal medicine No. 13, and pediatrics No. 15.
- Feinberg continues to ascend the National Institutes of Health funding rankings, moving from No. 39 in 2001 to No. 21 in 2013.
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago are ranked Nos. 10 and 8, respectively, in the U.S. News & World Report lists of Honor Roll hospitals for 2013-14, and the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago has been ranked No. 1 among rehabilitation hospitals each year since 1991.
Students have opportunities to participate in nearly 70 student organizations and 20 global clinical experiences. In the 2014-2015 academic year, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine serves 670 MD students and 1090 residents and fellows. Learn more about the student population from academic years 2013 to 2017.
Class of 2018
The Class of 2018 is made up of a diverse group of students from different cultural, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.
Learn more about the Class of 2018.
Our faculty of approximately 3,400 members teach and conduct basic and clinical research through:
- Six basic science departments
- Twenty clinical departments
- Twenty-six centers
- Seven institutes
Research at a Glance
- Feinberg provides 60 percent of all research across Northwestern University.
- Researchers received 1,661 awards totaling $347.4 million dollars in the 2012-2013 academic year.
- Feinberg’s research space totaled 665,000 total sq. ft. in academic year 2012-2013, comprised of approximately 500,000 sq. ft. of wet lab space and 165,000 sq. ft. of dry lab space.
- Nearly 1,000 clinical trials take place at Feinberg and its affiliates every year.
The redesigned curriculum launched in fall 2012, and focuses on four major elements:
- Clinical Medicine centers on the development of clinical skills, including medical decision-making and clinical reasoning, and patient safety and quality improvement.
- Science in Medicine fosters the scientific knowledge necessary to practice medicine.
- Health and Society explores ways in which wellness is promoted in a population, including health disparities and outcomes, as well as the global integration of medicine with societal elements.
- Professional Development includes topics for personal and professional development, such as teamwork and leadership.
Contact Feinberg School
Chicago Campus Map
Online Store- Feinberg and Northwestern Medicine Gear
Primary Clinical Affiliates
Northwestern Memorial Hospital
(includes Prentice Women’s Hospital)
Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital
Central DuPage Hospital
Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago
Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
John H. Stroger, Jr. Hospital of Cook County
Jesse Brown VA Medical Center
Northwestern Medical Group