The Center for Health Equity Transformation (CHET) aims to provide you with timely updates and resources regarding COVID-19. It is very important to practice social distancing at this time and it can save lives, but we also recognize that social distancing can worsen existing inequities and cause feelings of social isolation. Below, we highlight some COVID-19 news and resources for your reference, and we recommend that you subscribe to our newsletter to receiving ongoing updates and check out the other Northwestern-compiled pages listed at the bottom of the Resources below. Please take the necessary precautions to prevent the spread of COVID-19, and stay healthy!
"Column: The uncertainties of having a baby during a pandemic: ‘That’s all part of her birth story now’" - The Chicago Tribune, March 27, 2020, featuring CHET Faculty Director Dr. Melissa Simon
"Coronavirus In Chicago: How Moms Are Navigating Childbirth and Newborns During A Pandemic" - CBS Chicago, March 26, 2020, featuring Dr. Melissa Simon and Strategic Operations Director Samantha Alonis
"Pregnancy during a pandemic: What women need to know" - Daily Herald, March 25, 2020, featuring Dr. Melissa Simon
"'I never thought this would be reality': Moms react to giving birth without their partners" - TODAY, March 23, 2020, featuring Dr. Melissa Simon
"Chicago-area pregnant women share concerns about coronavirus. Northwestern OB-GYN says issue is about contact." - Chicago Tribune, March 16, 2020, featuring Dr. Melissa Simon
"COVID-19: Pregnancy, Childbirth and Postpartum Care" - Northwestern Medicine podcast featuring Dr. Melissa Simon
- FDA authorizes COVID-19 booster shots for all U.S. adults - NPR
- More information on long term effects of COVID-19 - Mayo Clinic
- "What to Do If the Coronavirus Health Guidelines Are Triggering Your Anxiety or OCD" - The Mighty
- Be Okay App - Mental Health Wellness App by Helena Leitao
- Tips For Social Distancing, Quarantine, And Isolation During An Infectious Disease Outbreak - Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
- Taking Care of Your Mental Health in the Face of Uncertainty - American Foundation for Suicide Prevention
- COVID-19: Dealing with Social Distancing - Science Talk podcast from Scientific American
Pregnancy and Parenting
- How to Manage Coronavirus Anxiety During Pregnancy - What to Expect
- Breastfeeding 101: Tinyhood’s virtual course from Prenatal Prep to Pumping is now available for free
- Online Support Groups: Carriage House Birth is facilitating weekly virtual support groups for new parents and pregnant families.
- Pregnancy meditations: Body Health Visualizations
- Parenting Tools: The HelloJoey app has released 2 free support kits "Anxiety 101" and "Quality Time: No Moment is Pointless"
- News on getting vaccines while pregnant! The CDC recommends that people who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or trying to get pregnant, or might become pregnant get their COVID vaccine.
- Is it safe for my kid to get the COVID vaccine? John Hopkins has a comprehensive list of what parents need to know. Also check out the CDC's recommendation for the pediatric COVID-19 vaccine.
- Chicago Food Depository – See the Find Food Program or donate here
- FAQs for COVID-19 and Unemployment Benefits - IDES
- COVID-19 Senior Shopping – IRMA
- Information on COVID-19 for Survivors, Communities, and DV/SA Programs – Futures without Violence
Compiled Resource Lists from other Northwestern Institutions
- Northwestern’s Center for Community Health – Chicago COVID-19 Resource Repository (CHET has added resources to this comprehensive and growing list as well)
Information on the CARES Act
Want to learn more about the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act and what support will be provided to community health centers and individuals affected by COVID-19? Check out this summary from NPR: "What's Inside The Senate's $2 Trillion Coronavirus Aid Package."
Join CHET's Handwashing Challenge
Tag us on Twitter @HealthEquityNU and remember: wash your hands for 20 seconds frequently and don't touch your face!
The Center for Health Equity Transformation is a joint center between the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University and the Institute for Public Health and Medicine.