News and Announcements
Read the latest news from Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine’s Institute for Public Health and Medicine.
The recipients of the 2019 Mentor of the Year Award, Tamara Isakova, MD, MMSc, and John Varga, MD, discussed their experiences as mentors and shared strategies during a recent workshop.
- Kiarri Kershaw is the senior author on a study that found a 34% increase in the likelihood of developing atherosclerosis02.25.2019
- Darius Tandon and Melissa Simon were instrumental in developing new guidelines to prevent depression during and after pregnancy02.12.2019
- No new HIV cases by 2030? Advocates in Chicago applaud Trump goal but question how it will be carried out.02.07.2019
Betina Yanez, PhD, received the New Investigator Award 2019 from the American Psychosocial Oncology Society.
Anna Briker, a second-year medical student, discusses her research investigating sleep-related risk factors in unexplained infant deaths in Cook County, which could be used to inform prevention programs.
- Dr. Jeffrey Linder co-authored a study that extensively assesses outpatient antibiotic prescriptions and demonstrates the scale of inappropriate antibiotic prescribing in the U.S.01.22.2019
- IPHAM Researchers Well-Represented Among 2019 Linzer Grant Recipients for Innovation in Diversity & Equity01.22.2019
Feinberg faculty, staff, students and community partners gathered at the inaugural IPHAM Population Health Forum to share their experience improving the health of communities in Chicago and around the world.
In a recent clinical trial, a drug called apalutamide added to standard therapy slowed cancer progression in men with prostate cancer, while maintaining quality of life.
Second-year medical students showcased ongoing results from their Area of Scholarly Concentration projects at a recent poster session.
Led by Melissa Simon, MD, MPH, the Center for Health Equity Transformation will build research infrastructure, conduct workforce development and support community partners in the effort to advance population health equity.
Feinberg has been awarded a prestigious O’Brien Kidney Center from The National Institutes of Health to expand research into the prevention and treatment of kidney diseases.
EHR-based tools designed to help patients manage complex drug regimens failed to improve medication adherence or lower blood pressure among patients with hypertension, according to a Northwestern Medicine study.
Middle-aged men with erectile dysfunction had a greater chance of experiencing cardiovascular events, according to a research letter published in Circulation.