The development of transgenic animal models across a broad number of laboratories at Northwestern University has increased the interest in studies of metabolism and cardiovascular physiology at multiple levels. Novel gene pathways important in diabetes and obesity have been identified by investigators at Northwestern, and a wide number of applications ranging from biomedical engineering to transplantation, regenerative medicine, inflammation, developmental biology, pharmacology, and neurobehavioral disorders suggest an increasing interest in technologies for phenotyping mouse metabolic systems. The mission of our core is to advance research across Northwestern in diabetes, obesity, and cardiovascular disease by establishing validated high-throughput hormone analyses and to create a consolidated reference center for efficient testing for the community.
Assay Services Offered
- Immunoassays for endocrine hormones
- ELISA: Insulin, Leptin, Corticosterone, Estradiol
- Many others; please contact us directly
- Luminex: multiplex assays using a small volume of sample
- Cytokines, adipokines, chemokines
- Hormones: insulin, leptin, etc.
- Roche Cobas e 411 analyzer
- (human samples including serum, plasma and urine)Metabolic hormones: insulin, C-peptide, cortisol, ACTH
- Reproductive hormones: Estradiol, FSH, LH, β-hCG, Progesterone, Testosterone, SHBG, DHEA-S, Prolactin
- Thyroid hormones: TSH, FT4, T4, FT3, T3, anti-TPO antibody, Anti TSH-receptor antibody, Thyroglobulin (TG), anti-TG antibody
- Bone metabolism: 25-OH-Vitamin D3, Intact PTH, Osteocalcin, Total-P1NP
- Tumor markers: AFP, CA 19-9, CEA, PSA (free and total)
- Maternal screening markers: AFP, β-hCG, PAPP-A
Metabolic Services Offered
- TSE Labmaster/Phenomaster System
- Indirect calorimetry to assess energy expenditure
- Locomotor activity monitoring
- Feeding activity monitoring
- Pair feeding
- Restricted feeding
All manuscripts and grants presenting work supported by this core should include the following acknowledgement:
"This work was supported by the Comprehensive Metabolic Core at Northwestern University."
Joseph Bass, MD, PhD
Wenyu Huang, MD, PhD
Heekyung Hong, PhD
Shipping Sample submission address:
Bass Lab, Lurie 7-220
303 E Superior St.
Chicago, IL 60611