How to Apply
The Emergency Medicine residency at the McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education. Our program only accepts applications through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) for PGY-1 positions; all other inquiries are not accepted. We currently match 15 PGY-1 positions. McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University sponsors J1, H1B and F1 visas. Please visit the McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University website for salary and benefit information. A sample resident contract is also available (PDF).
Any openings that may arise during the academic year will be listed on the SAEM Residency Vacancy Service.
Required Application Materials
We participate in the NRMP Match. Applications are submitted to ERAS through your medical school dean's office or the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Please contact your medical school student affairs or dean's office or the ECFMG for instructions. Applications will not be accepted via fax, mail or email. The following materials are required:
- Complete ERAS application
- USMLE scores (Part I required; Part II is optional but preferred)
- A recent photograph (optional; helpful in refreshing memories for ranking purposes)
- Up to three letters of recommendation:
- One letter - department/composite SLOE from an Emergency Medicine rotation (highly recommended)
- One to two additional letters - ideally utilizing the CORD recommended template (to be released summer 2020)
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- Medical school transcript
- Personal statement
In accordance with the ERAS 2021 Timeline for Residency Applicants, applications should be submitted by Oct. 21. Letters of recommendation should be received by your interview date, preferably prior to Oct. 21. No interview offers will be made before MSPEs are received.
Click here to review information regarding the 2020-2021 interview season.