Northwestern Medicine Acute Care Physical Therapy Residency
The Northwestern Medicine Acute Care Residency is accredited by the American Board of Physical Therapy Residencies and Fellowships as a post-professional residency program for physical therapists in acute care physical therapy.
- Residents complete education, clinical training, and mentorship that reflect our hospital’s Analysis of Acute Care PT Practice to prepare them to obtain ABPTS board certification as clinical specialists in acute care physical therapy as soon as it becomes available.
- Residents will demonstrate advanced, efficient, and effective skills in acute care PT practice with a variety of patient populations and conditions consistent with our hospital’s Analysis of Acute Care PT Practice (and DRP when it becomes available).
- Residents will demonstrate specialist-level knowledge and clinical reasoning so that examination, evaluation, diagnosis, prognosis, interventions, and outcome decisions are consistently based on the three pillars of evidence-based practice.
- Residents will develop advanced skills as educators to share knowledge and best evidence in acute care practice with patients, caregivers, students, colleagues, and interdisciplinary partners.
- Residents will demonstrate skills in research and quality improvement methodology through exposure to a variety of projects and participation in a project related to acute care physical therapy.
- Residency graduates will contribute to the growth and development of acute care physical therapy within Northwestern Medicine and the broader society.
Please download the residency information packet (PDF) for more information. The packet is updated annually in September, just prior to the opening of the application cycle.
Applicants may apply through RF-PTCAS. The current cycle opens on October 1.
For more information, contact Andrea Williams at Andrea.Williams@nm.org and/or 312-926-6409.
Current Acute Care Residents
Jessica (Jessie) Schmidt, PT, DPT, ggraduated from the University of Illinois at Chicago in 2021. She is practicing at Northwestern Memorial Hospital (NMH) in Chicago. NMH is the Level 1 Trauma Center in the Northwestern Medicine System.
Claire Heneghan, PT, DPT, ggraduated from Marquette University in 2021. She is practicing at Northwestern Memorial Hospital (NMH) in Chicago. NMH is the Level 1 Trauma Center in the Northwestern Medicine System.