Thank you for your interest in Emergency Medicine at Northwestern. Should you have any questions after reviewing this information, please do not hesitate to contact us.
The Emergency Medicine Residency at Northwestern is fully accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education.
The Emergency Medicine program at the McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University participates in the NRMP and accepts applications for the PGY-1 position.
We only accept applications through ERAS for PGY-1 positions; all other inquiries are not accepted. We currently match 15 PGY-1 positions.
Northwestern McGaw sponsors J1, H1B and F1 visas.
Any openings that may arise during the academic year will be listed on the SAEM Residency Vacancy Service.
Please visit the McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University website for salary and benefit information. A sample resident contract is available here.
We participate in the NRMP Match. Applications are submitted to ERAS through your medical school dean's office or the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Please contact your medical school student affairs or dean's office or the ECFMG for instructions. Applications will not be accepted via fax, mail or e-mail.
Required Application Materials
- Complete ERAS application
- USMLE scores - Part I required, Part II is optional, but preferred
- A recent photograph (Optional - Helpful in refreshing memories for ranking purposes)
- Three or four letters of recommendation from physicians (Ideally include two from emergency medicine physicians or Department/Composite SLOE from your institution)
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE)
- Medical school transcript
- Personal Statement
- Applications should be submitted by October 1st.
- Letters of Recommendation should be received by your interview date, preferably prior to October 1st.
- No interview offers will be made before MSPE's are received
Contact our residency coordinators: