Summer Experiential Workshop
The 2022 Summer Experiential Workshop is canceled. Please check this webpage for future updates.
The Graduate Program in Genetic Counseling offers a summer experiential workshop in genetic counseling. This unique workshop combines lectures, discussion and patient experiences to provide the interns with a broader view of the genetic counseling profession in preparation for graduate school. We accept approximately 20 students each summer for the one-week workshop.
- Life as a genetic counseling graduate student
- Firsthand experiences of genetic counselors
- Thesis development
- Ethical and cultural issues
- Patient experiences
- Disabilities and illness
- Alternative careers for genetic counselors
- Public health and current issues in genetic counseling
- Graduate school application
Chicago-area genetic counselors serve as faculty, giving workshop attendees exposure to professionals with a range of experience from across the country who work in varied specialties.