Nervous System Tumor Bank
The Northwestern University Nervous System Tumor Bank (NSTB) provides researchers with high-quality patient-derived biospecimens (tissues, cells, blood, and cerebrospinal fluid) to support preclinical and translational neuro-oncology research. We offer a comprehensive platform for biospecimen and data banking, including protocol and informed consent tracking, sample annotation, inventory management, tissue microarray construction, and integration with sample processing and analysis technologies.
Human Blood & Cerebrospinal fluid
- PBMC – collected from sodium heparin blood tubes using a standard Ficoll separation gradient and frozen in a 9:1 ratio of FBS:DMSO. Samples are stored in the vapor phase of liquid nitrogen.
- Plasma – platelet poor plasma collected from an EDTA collection tube. Samples are stored at -80 C.
- Whole Blood – collected in vacutainer of researcher’s choosing.
- CSF - 1mL frozen patient CSF supernatant, stored in -80 degrees.
- CSF cell pellet - The cellular material collected from CSF. Stored in liquid nitrogen.
Human Tumor Tissue
- Tumor Tissue – Fresh
- Tumor Tissue – Frozen – stored in the vapor phase of liquid nitrogen with no preservatives.
- Meningioma Cell Line - patient derived cell line established within the NSTB. Cells are frozen in a 7:2:1 ratio of media:FBS:DMSO.
- GBM Cell Line – patient derived cell line established within the NSTB. Cells are frozen in a 7:2:1 ratio of media:FBS:DMSO.
- H&E Stain – standard H&E stain and includes review by Dr. Horbinski, a board certified pathologist.
- Immunohistochemistry Stain – includes consultation with our histology specialist, manual processing, and review by Dr. Horbinski, a board certified pathologist.
- Immunofluorescence - includes consultation with our histology specialist, manual processing, and review by Dr. Horbinski, a board certified pathologist.
- RNA In Situ Hybridization – consult for specific probes required.
- Unstained Slide
- Other Miscellaneous Stain – other or additional histology work not covered by the above categories.
- Autopsy case sectioning - Unstained slides from autopsy cases
- REDcap NSTB project query – checking availability within the NSTB and curating custom data reports.
- NMH Patient Chart Review – gathering data from hospital records and delivered in a de-identified format.
- Specimen pickup and honest broker services – specimen collection for projects where an honest broker is needed to de-identify the samples.
All manuscripts and grants presenting work supported by this core should include the following acknowledgement:
"The Northwestern Nervous System Tumor Bank is supported by the P50CA221747 SPORE for Translational Approaches to Brain Cancer."