MAA Digital Series Archives
The MAA Digital Series is a monthly video presentation in the Medical Alumni Association Newsletter, hosted by Joseph J. Gugenheim Jr., ’72 MD. In each episode, Dr. Gugenheim explores the rich and vibrant history behind Northwestern’s medical school and its Chicago home.
Dr. Gugenheim is a retired orthopaedic surgeon. He specialized in extremity reconstruction in adults and children and also general pediatric orthopaedics.
Credited with 28 original scientific publications and book chapters and 66 scientific presentations, Dr. Gugenheim graduated from Rice University in Houston and Northwestern University Medical School. He completed his internship in the Northwestern program and his residency at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. Dr. Gugenheim completed his fellowship at Boston Children’s Hospital.
He has served as president, program chairman, and publications editor of the Limb Lengthening and Reconstruction Society. Dr. Gugenheim also has provided his historical perspective on campus tours and produced a webinar as part of our Alumni Weekend programming. His highly sought-after city walking tours are often the first events to reach capacity during Alumni Weekend registration.
For relaxation, he has participated in running and equestrian competitions. In retirement, his new hobby is Chicago history.
We invite you to explore the archives of this fascinating and alumni-beloved digital series...
MAA Digital Series Archives
- Wrigley and Comiskey: Chicago's Baseball Magnates (March 2022)
- Pediatrics at Northwestern Part 2: The Lurie Hospital Years, 2012–Present (February 2022)
- Pediatrics at Northwestern Part 1: The Children's Memorial Hospital Years, 1882–2012 (January 2022)
- Chicago’s Holiday Mascots (December 2021)
- Rebuilding Chicago:Part II (November 2021)
- The Great Chicago Fire of 1871: Part I (October 2021)
- That Was Then, This Is Now: Women Firsts (September 2021)
- Chicago Medical College: The Evolution of Feinberg School of Medicine (August 2021)
- Candy Man of Streeterville: Otto Schnering (July 2021)
- The Meeting on the Rush Street Bridge: How a New Medical School in Chicago Began (June 2021)
- Men-Only Club with a Dirigible Port on N. Michigan Avenue; Strange but True (May 2021)
- McKinlock Campus and Gates (April 2021)
- That Was Then, This Is Now: The Names Behind the Buildings (March 2021)
- Maternity Care at Northwestern: Part II (February 2021)
- Maternity Care at Northwestern: Part I (January 2021)
- The Holiday Season at Marshall Field’s (December 2020)
- Lake Shore Drive (November 2020)
- The Old Lady on Harrison Street, Part II: The Second Century (October 2020)
- The Old Lady on Harrison Street, Part I: A History on Cook County Hospital (September 2020)
- The Curse on the Cubs (August 2020)
- Interview with the NMO (July 2020)
- James Gamble Rogers: Architect for Northwestern (June 2020)
- The History of Chicago Pizza (May 2020)
- Who's Who in the Northwestern Neighborhood (April 2020)
For more information on this series, please call 312-503-8012 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.