The Department of Urology wants to support our researchers in their efforts. Please refer to the information below for policies and useful resources related to conducting research within the department.
Applications (administrative shell, including the budget) must be submitted to the Research Administration Team at least 10 business days prior to the application deadline, or they will not be eligible for submission. As soon as you start thinking about submitting an application, you should contact of the Research Administration Services Team.
- Department employees will be held accountable to Feinberg IT Information security and policies.
- This includes information security, data storage and hardware/software standards.
- All hardware and software should be ordered through Feinberg IT Procurement. If your desired item is not obtainable through Feinberg IT or listed on their site, Feinberg IT needs to be first consulted.
- Mary Kate Fitzgerald must be emailed when an IRB is submitted, renewed, modified or closed.
- Mary Kate must be listed as the primary contact on all existing and new IRB proposals; learn how to update your proposal’s personnel listing.
- Close studies when interactions with human subjects are complete and all data collection and analysis of identifiable private information have been finished.
- Researchers will be held accountable to Northwestern IRB Rules and Regulations.
Oncology Studies: The Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University is an NCI funded center, and as such is required to abide by NCI rules related to research oversight. A particularly important requirement is the establishment of a protocol review and monitoring system, which within the Lurie Cancer Center is the Scientific Review Committee (SRC). The SRC is responsible for the review of all cancer relevant research conducted within the institutions that comprise the center.
In order to comply with NCI requirements it is required that all cancer relevant research be submitted to the Lurie Cancer Center SRC prior to IRB submission. Such submission is required for all cancer relevant protocols. More information regarding SRC can be found here.
- NUCATS: Provides clinical research support, epidemiological and statistical assistance, biomedical informatics services, and community and stakeholder engagement.
- Galter Health Science Library: Access to PubMed, classes and guides to support research, incluing advice on writing the new NIH Biosketch.
- Core Facilities : Specialized laboratory available equipment to rent.
- Feasibility Query Tool (12B2): Web-based tool to develop and run queries against a subset of data in the Northwestern Enterprise Data Warehouse.
- Animal Research: Be informed and compliant with all animal study policy and certification.
- Research Administration: The Department of Urology receives research administration from FSM's Research Administration Service team. The contact for all inquires is Amy Hinze-Pifer. In March 2016, a detailed outline will be posted that lists the specific research administrator that should be contacted regarding sponsored projects.