News and Announcements
Browse the articles below to learn more about our faculty’s latest achievements, awards and honors.
- 04.16.2019Alpesh A Patel, MD, Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and Neurological Surgery, was quoted in an NBC News article on Tiger Woods' remarkable recovery from spinal fusion surgery. Read more.
- 02.15.2019Craig Horbinski, MD,
PhD, associate professor of Pathology and Neurological Surgery, is not just a physician, scientist andexpert on brain tumors. He’s also a minor Twitter celebrity. more
A Northwestern Medicine study has demonstrated the role of dopamine in the progression of glioblastoma and suggests that targeting the neurotransmitter may slow cancer growth.
- 02.01.2019Joshua Rosenow, MD, director of functional neurosurgery and epilepsy surgery at Northwestern Medicine in Chicago, discusses neuromodulation and exciting developments in the future. more
- 12.21.2018Learn more about wearables created with and by John A. Rogers, Louis Simpson
andKimberly Querrey Professor of Materials Science and Engineering, Biomedical Engineering and Neurological Surgery.
Armed with a prestigious new grant, investigators prepare to rapidly translate scientific breakthroughs into better brain tumor therapies. Read the story in Northwestern Medicine magazine.
- 11.14.2018THE FUTURE OF wearable skincare technology is roughly the size of an M&M. Launching today, L'Oréal’s La Roche-Posay My Skin Track UV sensor clips onto clothing and measures the wearer’s exposure to UV radiation, a form of radiation that is known to damage skin and, in large amounts, cause skin cancer. more
The Simpson Querrey Center for Epigenetics is connecting the Northwestern academic and medical community to integrate the study of epigenetics into science and clinical care.
- 11.06.2018A device could change the lives of a million patients. more
- 10.22.2018"We are pleased to partner with one of the largest
health caresystems in the Midwest to provide the highest-quality neurological care to patients living in Northwest Indiana," said Maciej Lesniak, MD, Michael J. Marchese Professor of Neurosurgery and chair of the department of neurological surgery at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. "This unique affiliation will offer enhanced care to residents in areas who may have limited access to leading specialists and cutting-edge clinical trials." more
- 10.18.2018Northwestern University is ranked #24. more
- 10.16.2018Among the 3,366 research grants awarded to Northwestern during the last fiscal year was funding to advance potentially transformative discovery on glioblastoma (GBM), one of the most common and aggressive of primary malignant brain cancers. In August, the Feinberg School and Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University obtained a highly competitive $11.5 million grant from the National Cancer Institute that supports research to help people diagnosed with GBM, which has a median survival rate of just 15 months. With this new award, Northwestern investigators — led by Maciej (Matt) Lesniak and C. David James, both neurological surgery — have established a Specialized Program of Research Excellence in brain cancer with an emphasis on GBM. more
- 09.02.2018"I have been a neurosurgeon for 32 years," he added. "From time to time, we see cases where people have miraculous recoveries. The work Erin did to enable herself to walk again is a tribute to her spirit, her faith and her forgiveness of the person who caused all these injuries." Learn more about Erin's journey here.
- 08.20.2018The Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University has been awarded a new, five-year $11.5 million Specialized Program of Research Excellence (SPORE) grant to advance translational research and improve outcomes for patients with brain cancer. more
qualityof life with leading-edge deep brain stimulation. more
- 08.15.2018Jean-Paul Wolinsky, MD, a leading authority in spinal oncology, joined Northwestern Medical Group in 2017. He is director of Spinal Oncology at Northwestern Memorial Hospital and professor of Neurosurgery at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. He has also established the new Northwestern Medicine Chordoma Center to help the estimated one in a million patients who are diagnosed each year with this rare type of bone cancer. more
- Northwestern Memorial is ranked No. 8 for Neurology & Neurosurgery08.14.2018
- 08.06.2018How the lighthouses on Michigan Avenue are a part of Patricia “Pat” Ward's story under the care of James Chandler, MD. Read here
“If you were to write a Hollywood script, you couldn’t do a better job,” says Dr. Jahromi. “To have your life saved by your childhood best friend, who then works subsequently as a nurse in the Emergency Department that saved your life is the type of ending you see credits rolling through. It’s amazing.”