To prepare millennial learners to practice 21st century medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine created an integrated educational environment, aligning classroom instruction with relevant, hands-on clinical experiences from day one.
Our curriculum offers students:
- Small group learning and personalized instruction across all elements and threads in the curriculum.
- A team-based care model in which students practice and refine clinical and communication skills in authentic patient-care and simulated environments from the first week of medical school.
- Instructional methods that include Team-Based Learning, Problem-Based Learning and Simulation-Based Learning.
- A focus on multi-dimensional care that is patient-centered, safe, cost-effective, efficient, evidence-based, culturally competent, and equitable.
- A mentored research experience in a personal area of interest that will lead to a thesis or other scholarly product over four years.
- Opportunities for curricular and extracurricular clinical experiences with underserved populations to develop the skills to become culturally sensitive, globally aware, and socially accountable practitioners who make a difference for their patients, communities and profession.
- The scheduling flexibility and counseling support for individualized career exploration early in the third year of medical school.
- A portfolio assessment system that is competency-based and helps develop students into reflective practitioners.
Get details on our new curriculum
- Learning Strategies
Discover the modalities and strategies that form the basis of our learning environment.
- Curriculum Overview
Get details on the integrated, three-phase curriculum which goes beyond the traditional "2+2" format and better aligns with how today's students learn and will practice medicine.
- Principles We Value
Learn about the organizing principles that form the foundation of our curriculum and guide its continuous quality improvement.
Using these important foundations, Feinberg will develop tomorrow’s healthcare leaders and arm them with the tools for success in many different environments. We invite you to learn more about our curriculum.