Skip to main content

Alumni & MD-PhD Careers

365 Total graduates since 1964

63% of MSTP graduates have been awarded an NRSA (F30 or F31)

7 Average number of publications for MSTP graduates since 2012

Know that as a Northwestern MD-PhD, you will be well-trained scientifically, well-trained clinically, matched into a good residency program and able to follow the physician-scientist path that is right for you.

– Lisa Wilsbacher, MD, PhD; 2003 Northwestern MSTP Graduate

Career Development for Students

What Can You Do With an MD-PhD Dual Degree?

The combined research and clinical training provided by MD-PhD programs provides students with the skills and experience to pursue a wide range of careers after graduation. According to a 2018 study published by the National Association of MD-PhD Programs, 80 percent of MD-PhD trainees pursue positions in academic medicine, research institutes or industry that utilize both their clinical and research training. The remaining 20 percent of graduates pursue careers in other areas such as clinical private practice, consulting, finance and law.

See Northwestern MSTP Outcomes

Contact Northwestern Medical Alumni Association

The Medical Alumni Association serves some 20,000 alumni around the world and close to home with activities, programs and opportunities that strengthen and enhance all that a Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine degree means to those who have proudly earned it.

Babette Nyke

For more information on the Medical Alumni Association and volunteer opportunities for alumni, please contact:

Babette Henderson
Senior Director, Alumni Relations and Engagement


Medical Alumni Association 
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine 
Rubloff Building, 9th Floor 
420 E. Superior St.
Chicago, IL 60611

Reconnect With Feinberg MSTP

Get updates from and connect with fellow MSTP alumni through Our Northwestern, the university’s protected online alumni community. You can also follow education, clinical and research news from medical alumni in our print and online publication, Northwestern Medicine magazine.

Join Our Northwestern  Northwestern Medicine Magazine