Frequently Asked Questions

Thank you for your interest in the Masters of Public Health (MPH) program at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago. Please review our frequently asked questions below. To request information about the program and our degree offerings, contact us.

 What degree programs do you offer and which is right for me?

 Does Northwestern offer concentrations?

Students in the MPH program may choose a concentration in Community Health Research, Epidemiology, Generalist or Global Health. The Epidemiology concentration requires a summer start and enrollment in some daytime classes. The other concentrations are open to both full-time, summer-start students as well as part-time, evening students who may begin classes in summer or fall.

 Does Northwestern offer any combined degree programs?

We offer a combined MD/MPH degree program. The MD/MPH program is for medical students concurrently enrolled in the Feinberg School of Medicine. Applicants apply prior to matriculating at Feinberg for the four-year combined degree or in the winter of their third year of medical school for the five-year program.

We offer a combined DPT/MPH degree program. The DPT/MPH program is for students concurrently enrolled in the Doctor of Physical Therapy program at Northwestern. Information on the application process is provided to admitted applicants to the DPT program.  DPT/MPH classes begin in June a few months ahead of the start of the DPT program.

We offer a combined PhD/MPH program for students concurrently enrolled in the PhD program in Anthropology or in the PhD offered by the Driskill Graduate Program in the Life Sciences. Applications are made to the PhD program using the application system designated by The Graduate School. Contact the department offering the PhD program for more information on that application process.

 Does Northwestern offer any distance or online degree programs?

No. The Program in Public Health does not offer an online or executive-model degree program.

 Can I take courses at other Northwestern schools?

Yes, students may enroll in courses offered by one of the other Northwestern schools. Obtaining credit for cross-registered courses is possible if a similar course is not available in the Program in Public Health, though it requires the permission of the program’s curriculum committee.

 I only have an undergraduate degree. Am I eligible for admission to the MPH program?

Yes, applicants without work experience who have a strong undergraduate record (typically a GPA of 3.5 or higher) qualify for admission to the MPH program.

 Can I take a course without enrolling in a degree program?

You may take one or more courses without enrolling in a degree program by applying for admission as a "non-degree special student." Applicants apply through SOPHAS Express and may apply to begin in any quarter of the year. The admission requirements are the same.

 Are you located on Northwestern University's Evanston campus?

No, we are located on Northwestern's Chicago campus. We are conveniently situated near Michigan Avenue in Chicago's Streeterville neighborhood, in close proximity to Feinberg School of Medicine, as well as myriad community partners and local resources.