Northwestern University Leadership Education Advancement Program
Providing a collaborative environment for emerging leaders.
The Northwestern University Leadership Education Advancement Program (NU-LEAP) provides a unique opportunity for Feinberg School of Medicine faculty to develop as a cohort of emerging leaders who can draw on each other to leverage opportunities and solve problems as mentors, investigators and practitioners. Participants will work with program faculty in a collaborative environment to gain a better understanding of:
- Their strengths and challenges as leaders
- Feinberg/NMHC/Lurie Children's/SRALab as an academic medical center and Feinberg as a unit within Northwestern University
- The challenges driving organizational change in academic medical centers
This program is offered by the Dean’s Office at the Feinberg School of Medicine.
The program will meet approximately once per month between September 2022 and April 2023. Each session is four-to-five hours (a half-day), except for Sessions II and VIII, which will be full-day retreats. Participants should also expect to spend approximately four hours monthly preparing for sessions.
Sessions VII and VIII are dedicated to the required team project. A list of projects will be provided during Session II. Participants will use the projects suggested by their peers to form teams of four to five. As a project team, they will then refine and advance their selected idea. Each project will also have an executive sponsor who will work with the team. Teams will work on their projects throughout the program to present in May.
How to Apply
The application period is now open.
To apply, download and review the LEAP 2023-2024 Application. Browse the categories below for application information.
Participants must be assistant professors (with between four and 10 years in rank) or associate professors (no more than five years in rank) at Feinberg School of Medicine. The program is limited to no more than 25 participants.
Application & Deadline
To be considered for the program, submit your application via the online application form no later than 10 p.m. on Monday, April 3, 2023. If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must include:
- A Letter of Interest (no more than 750 words) that expresses why you want to be in this program (why you are interested, how participation in this program will help you as an academician and a brief description of a project or change that you would like to bring about as a result of this training) and links your interest in the program to a personal or professional experience
- A letter from your chair on why they are nominating you for this program and how they see you benefiting
- Your CV
- A completed LEAP Application Form. All the items listed above should be attached as one document to the online application form when submitted.
Application Review Process
Final participation will be determined based on your demonstration of interest and needs assessment and considers the following:
- Your motivation for participation
- Your personal goals for the program and how they relate to your career development and goals
- What are the skills you need to develop and why
- Assembling a diverse cohort that enables interaction across a broad range of experiences, disciplines and institutions that comprise Feinberg’s academic community
You will receive an email confirming receipt of your materials by end of day on Tuesday, April 4, 2023.