Skip to main content
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
Center for Education in Health Sciences
Skip to main content



Application Deadlines

Applicants to the MS in Biostatistics program must apply to begin in summer quarter. The deadline is January 15, for international applicants and domestic applicants wishing early decision and March 1, for domestic applicants. Admissions are made on a rolling basis, and we strongly recommend that applicants submit their materials well before the deadline. All applications should indicate summer as the quarter of entry.

Application Requirements

All applicants to the Master of Science in Biostatistics must have:

  • A baccalaureate or professional degree awarded no later than June 21.

  • Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher.

  • Completed the GRE within the past five years.
    • Strong applicants possess GRE Quantitative Reasoning score at or above the 60th percentile.
    • Strong applicants possess GRE Verbal Reasoning score at or above the 40th percentile.
  • Taken differential and integral calculus (prerequisite courses) before starting the program. Students interested in Statistical Methods and Practice concentrations may also benefit from linear matrix algebra.

Application Instructions

Students applying for the MS in Biostatistics program (part-time and full-time) use the Public Health Common Application (SOPHAS). This common application for most accredited public health schools/programs requires:

  • A statement of purpose
  • Three references
  • Transcript(s) from all colleges/universities you have attended (if you have attended post-secondary schools outside of the United States or Canada, your transcripts must be sent for evaluation to
  • GRE and/or MCAT score submission, unless waived (code 6981).
  • Statement of Purpose and Objectives (personal statement)
  • Letters of recommendation from three faculty members, instructors, employers, or supervisors or others who can address your interest in public health and/or your ability to do graduate level work.
  • World Education Services (WES) ICAP Course-by-Course evaluation of academic records from institutions outside the U.S. and English-speaking Canada
  • Waiver: granted to holders of doctoral or professional degrees (PhD, MD, etc) from institutions within the U.S. and English-speaking Canada.

If your native language is not English, you must certify your proficiency in the English language in one of the following ways:

  • Provide official scores for either the TOEFL or IELTS exam. The test must be taken no more than two years before the desired quarter of entry. For the TOEFL, you must score 600 or higher on the paper-based test, 250 or higher on the computer-based test or 100 or higher on the internet-based test. For the IELTS, you must receive a score of 7.0 or higher. Visit the TOEFLsite to request your scores be sent to SOPHAS in Massachusetts, code 5688. Your scores will take 10 to 12 business days from the date you make the request to post on your SOPHAS 
  • Provide official transcripts verifying an undergraduate degree from an accredited four-year institution or equivalent, where the language of instruction is English.
  • Provide official transcripts verifying a graduate degree from an accredited institution where the language of instruction is English.

SOPHAS applicants who will be submitting documentation from post-secondary institutions outside of the United States and/or English-language institutions in Canada must have their documents evaluated by World Education Services (WES). Please note that evaluations from WES will allow our reviewers to better understand the educational system in which you studied, which may be beneficial for your application review.

If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, you can apply for either an F-1 or a J-1 visa. All full-time, admitted students are eligible for the F-1 visa, as long as they are proficient in English and can show proof of funding for at least the first year of study. Most Northwestern University international students have this visa status. However, some students may also be eligible for a J-1 student visa. You can learn more from the Northwestern International Office.

For additional questions about applying, contact us at

Back to top