News and Announcements
Read the latest news from Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine’s Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics. The links below take you to articles where you can learn more about our faculty’s latest achievements, awards and honors.
- 05.12.2022A Northwestern Medicine study published in Nature Immunology has discovered that mitochondria control the activation of a specific protein complex linked to inflammation and the progression of chronic diseases.
- 05.10.2022A transcription factor associated with androgen receptor activity in prostate cancer has a newly discovered role in controlling lipid biosynthesis.
- 05.06.2022Northwestern Medicine scientists identified critical regulatory processes that govern differentiation in embryonic stem cells.
- 03.16.2022A well-established cancer cell transcription factor and its newly identified co-factor work together to drive cancer cell proliferation, according to a Northwestern Medicine study published in Science Advances.
- 03.07.2022Glucocorticoid steroids improved muscle performance through distinct, sex-specific mechanisms, according to a Northwestern Medicine study.
- 02.28.2022Northwestern Medicine investigators have discovered a novel mechanism that connects circadian rhythm-controlled cellular metabolism and regeneration with muscle repair after injury.
- 02.03.2022A genetic mutation changing just one base pair of nucleotides greatly increases risk of a lethal subtype of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukemia, according to a recent study.
- 12.20.2021The protein UBR7 acts as a histone chaperone and regulates nucleotide metabolism, making UBR7 among the first proteins known to affect both processes.
- 12.16.2021Mutations in a histone regulator protein are connected to both a rare neurodevelopmental disorder and to some cancers, according to a recent study.
- 11.10.2021Fatty acid uptake produces an epigenetic modification that is required for cancer metastasis, according to a study published in Nature.
- 09.03.2021Northwestern Medicine scientists have identified a critical checkpoint in transcription elongation, the process of synthesizing RNA from a DNA template.
- 06.09.2021Northwestern Medicine scientists have described a method of reconstructing the three-dimensional structure of chromosomes in cancer cells and matching those chromosomes with counterpart oncogenes.
- 06.03.2021Arthur Prindle, PhD, assistant professor of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics, has been honored with the Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers from the U.S. Army Research Office.
- 06.03.2021For the first time, scientists have examined how the three-dimensional structure of chromatin can play a part in the development of bladder cancer and pediatric brain tumors, according to a pair of Northwestern Medicine studies.
- 05.26.2021Using small molecular inhibitors to block the BAP1 complex may be a promising targeted therapy approach for leukemia, according to a Northwestern Medicine study published in Nature Cancer.
- 05.21.2021Northwestern Medicine scientists have developed Nuc-MS, a new method to capture the protein composition of whole nucleosomes without losing information.