Browse the articles below to learn more about our faculty’s latest achievements, awards and honors.
- 11.26.2023Adam B. Murphy, MD, MBA, MSCI, discusses a significant secondary discovery related to the impact of perceived patient health literacy on urologists' treatment decisions for prostate cancer. This insight is derived from the study titled "Impact of genomic testing on urologists' treatment preference in favorable risk prostate cancer: A randomized trial," where Dr. Murphy served as the senior author.
- 11.10.2023llinois state represenative Lashawn Ford and Dr. Adam Murphy discuss the important of early detestion of prostate cancer and how facial hair is now being used to raise awareness for men's health specifically prostate cancer, testicular cancer and mental health. Movember is an annual initiative when men are encouraged to grow moustaches during the month of November.
- 11.07.2023Adam B. Murphy, MD, MBA, MSCI, provides insights into the study titled "Impact of genomic testing on urologists' treatment preferences in favorable-risk prostate cancer: A randomized trial," in which he served as the senior author. He discusses the study's background and significant findings.
- 10.23.2023Scientists have linked mutations in 11 genes with aggressive prostate cancer, according to the largest-ever study of its kind recently published in JAMA Oncology.
- 09.12.2023Edward M. Schaeffer, MD, PhD, shares his journey of becoming involved with the book "Dr. Patrick Walsh's Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer."
- 09.05.2023In the quest to predict prostate cancer risk, polygenic risk scores (PRS) have taken center stage. William Catalona, MD provides his insight, which consider multiple genetic factors, are increasingly being studied as potential tools for assessing an individual's risk of developing prostate cancer.
- 07.06.2023Edward M. Schaeffer, MD, PhD, discusses the emergence of prostate-specific membrane antigen-targeting agents in prostate cancer. Dr. Schaeffer also highlights that these agents can help improve the accuracy of imaging tests and provide valuable information for treatment decisions.
- Prostate Cancer and Veterans Health: A Spotlight on the Groundbreaking Initiatives at the VA System - Hiten Patel07.05.2023Hiten Patel, MD, MPH, sheds light on the groundbreaking initiatives and advancements in prostate cancer care within the Veterans Health Administration (VA) system. Dr. Patel emphasizes the significance of addressing the specific needs of veterans in prostate cancer diagnosis, treatment, and survivorship.
Edward Schaeffer, MD, PhD, discusses current urologic research at Northwestern University, emphasizing the importance of precision medicine and advancements in genomic testing for prostate cancer. He also emphasizes the collaborative efforts between different disciplines within the university to enhance patient care and outcomes.
- 06.30.2023Edward Schaeffer MD, PhD, discusses his work with the National Comprehensive Cancer Network’s prostate cancer guidelines committee and highlights the importance of these guidelines in providing standardized recommendations for the diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up care of prostate cancer patients. He also mentions the ongoing efforts to update and refine the guidelines to ensure they reflect the latest advancements in prostate cancer management.
- 06.08.2023William Catalona, MD, discusses the slow adoption of active surveillance in the United States, emphasizing the need for increased awareness and education about its benefits. He highlights the potential of active surveillance as a viable option for low-risk prostate cancer patients, urging urologists to reconsider their treatment approaches.
- 06.02.2023In this Urology Times video, Praveen Thumbikat, DVM, PhD, discusses the effectiveness of mast cell inhibition therapy for chronic pelvic pain syndrome. This therapy targets mast cells involved in inflammation and demonstrates promising results in relieving associated symptoms. The findings present a potential innovative treatment approach for individuals afflicted by this condition.
- 06.01.2023Dr. William Catalona highlights the potential benefits of integrating genetic information into prostate-specific antigen (PSA) tests and how this comprehensive approach enables more precise identification of individuals at risk, leading to personalized and focused screening strategies aimed at early detection and prevention of the disease.
- What To Do With a Positive PSMA PET and Negative Conventional Imaging in Patients With Prostate Cancer05.31.2023Sarah E. Fenton, MD, PhD, and Maha Hussain, MD, FACP, FASCO delve into the management and decision-making process for prostate cancer patients who present with a positive PSMA PET scan but negative conventional imaging results. They emphasize the importance of personalized and multidisciplinary approaches to enhance patient care in this intricate clinical scenario.
- New Data Published In Cancer Suggest Decipher GRID-Derived Gene Expression Signature Could Enable More Personalized Treatment for Prostate Cancer Patients05.03.2023A new biomarker based on gene expression has been discovered that can classify prostate cancer into distinct molecular subtypes. This classification system could aid doctors in creating personalized treatment plans for patients with prostate cancer. The biomarker utilizes Veracyte's Decipher Genomics Resource for Intelligent Discovery database. The study, senior authored by Edward M. Schaeffer, MD, PhD, was published in the journal Cancer .
- AUA 2023: Characteristics and Outcomes of Patients with Advanced Prostate Cancer Treated with Relugolix: A Single Center Experience05.01.2023During the 2023 American Urological Association Annual Meeting in Chicago, Parth Shah from Dr. Ashley Ross`s lab delivered a presentation on relugolix treatment outcomes for advanced prostate cancer. This included an analysis of patient characteristics and their corresponding outcomes, conducted at a single center.
- AUA 2023: First Update: Managing our Metastatic Hormone Sensitive Prostate Cancer Patients: Are We There Yet?05.01.2023
The 2023 American Urological Association (AUA) annual meeting in Chicago, IL included The International Prostate Forum, which featured Dr. Maha Hussain as a keynote speaker. Dr. Hussain's presentation focused on the contemporary treatment methods for patients with metastatic hormone sensitive prostate cancer (mHSPC).
- 05.01.2023Northwestern Medicine researchers have created a biomarker signature test to identify which bladder cancer tumors will respond to immunotherapy. This discovery, led by Joshua Meeks, MD, PhD, is expected to enhance the survival rates of patients suffering from this disease.
- 05.01.2023The 2023 Annual American Urological Association Conference held in Chicago, Illinois hosted a significant debate regarding the renaming of Gleason 6 Prostate Cancer. Dr. William Catalona voiced his opposition to the proposed change, which sparked discussions on the accuracy of the current Gleason scoring system and the potential benefits of renaming the cancer.
- 05.01.2023During the 2023 American Urological Association Residents' Forum, an esteemed panel of urology leaders in international surgery shared their experiences on how they've successfully integrated this global pursuit into their respective careers. Notable panelists included Stephanie Kielb, MD.
- Urologists Explore Laws Affecting Male Infertility Treatment and the First Nonhormonal Hydrogel-Based Male Contraceptive04.28.2023The American Urological Association's 118th Annual Scientific Meeting will feature noteworthy research on male infertility treatment laws and the pioneering nonhormonal hydrogel-based male contraceptive. These findings will be presented by urologists seeking to advance fertility studies.
- 04.27.2023Northwestern Medicine researchers have developed a biomarker signature test that can predict which bladder cancer tumors will positively respond to immunotherapy, potentially improving survival rates for patients. This breakthrough discovery provides clinicians with a valuable tool to enhance treatment options and fight against bladder cancer.
- 04.21.2023Drs. Eric Li and Rashid Siddiqui, Urology residents from Dr. Ashley Ross`s lab, discussed the groundbreaking article "Optimizing detection of clinically significant prostate cancer through nomograms incorporating MRI, clinical features, and advanced serum biomarkers in biopsy naive men" published in Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases. They are currently investigating ways to implement the study's findings and spearhead this innovative approach.
- 04.20.2023Dr. Alan W. Partin passed away at the age of 62 on March 28, 2023. He made significant contributions to the field of urology throughout his career and served as the director of the Brady Urological Institute and urologist-in-chief at Johns Hopkins Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland. Edward M. Schaeffer, MD, PhD, paid tribute to Dr. Partin for his remarkable achievements and dedication to advancing the field.
- 04.18.2023According to recent research conducted by Cedars-Sinai Cancer, African American men with a deficiency in vitamin D may face a higher risk of developing prostate cancer at a younger age, which is more aggressive in nature. The study involved the contribution of Adam Murphy, MD.
Adam Murphy, MD, MBA, MSCI, discusses potential legislative directions for PSA screening recommendations moving forward from the 2023 AUA Summit, where he was part of the discussion "Breaking Down Barriers to PSA Screening".
- 03.08.2023Maha H. Hussain, MD, FASCO, FACP, discusses key efficacy and safety data from a secondary analysis of the phase 3 ARASENS trial in metastatic hormone-sensitive prostate cancer.
- 02.27.2023Joshua J. Meeks, MD, PhD, provides insights into a promising pilot study on the treatment of advanced urothelial carcinoma using tazemetostat and pembrolizumab.
- 12.27.2022Hiten D. Patel, MD, MPH emphasizes the need for comprehensive evaluation through imaging studies, clinical history, and diagnostic tests to accurately distinguish between malignant and benign renal masses. He also highlights the advancements in imaging techniques and biopsy procedures that aid in the accurate diagnosis and appropriate management of renal masses.