Browse the articles below to learn more about our faculty’s latest achievements, awards and honors.
Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University was awarded a five-year, $9.2 million grant renewal from the National Cancer Institute (NCI) for its continued leadership of a Specialized Programs of Research Excellence (SPORE) in Prostate Cancer.
- Tumor-related risk factors affect conversion of active surveillance to treatment for prostate cancer09.10.2021Study by Dr. William J. Catalona assess the time to conversion from active surveillance to treatment for prostate cancer and provides new data on factors affecting the outcomes of this increasingly used management strategy.
Matthew T. Hudnall a resident in the department of Urology at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, discusses how terms used to describe prostate cancer could impact a patient`s subsequent decision-making, including preference for active surveillance.
- 08.06.2021Dr. Maha Hussain shares her perspective about treatment and research progress, the role of the patient, and how to advocate for more research progress in the future.
Study by Dr. Maha Hussain shows how the use of circulating tumor DNA to identify patients at risk of urothelial cancer relapse after surgical resection, could help improve post-surgery treatment.
Study by Dr. Murphy alters the understanding of how prognostic molecular assays that generate probabilities of poor outcome can impact treatment decisions in diverse populations.
- Illinois state Rep. La Shawn Ford beats prostate cancer, urges early screening and greater understanding of health inequities06.27.2021
Illinois state Rep. La Shawn Ford shares his prostate cancer journey along with the importance of early cancer screening. He also sheds some light on racial health disparities and urges for a greater understanding of health inequities.
Illinois state Rep. La Shawn Ford talks about how his unfortunate diagnosis transformed into an opportunity to educate his community.
Maha Hussain, MD, FACP, FASCO, discusses the clinical impact of the phase 3 PROfound trial in metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer.
- 09.11.2019Dr. Auffenberg speaks with WGN news during Testicular Cancer Awareness Month to discuss symptoms and early detection of testicular cancer
- AUA 2019: How Advanced Imaging and Advanced Surgical Technique Can Impact Management of Localized, High-Risk Prostate Cancer09.10.2019Dr. Edward Schaeffer discusses how advances in imaging and surgical approach can affect the management of men with localized, high-risk prostate cancer.
- 04.10.2019Featuring: Dr. Edward M. Schaeffer, chair of the department of urology at the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- 04.09.2019Dr. Joshua Meeks discusses the clinical treatment of high-risk NMIBC in a BCG rationed era.
Maha H. Hussain, MD, FACP, Genevieve Teuton Professor of Medicine, deputy director, Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, discusses the potential of enzalutamide (Xtandi) in the treatment of patients with prostate cancer.
Dr. Shilajit Kundu highlights how men with IBD should be screened more carefully than a man without IBD as elevated PSA levels can be indicative of prostate cancer
- 04.03.2019Dr. Edward Schaeffer talks with Bill Madden from WMBS-Pittsburgh about prostate cancer symptoms and treatment options; he also announces the creation of a new multidisciplinary institute dedicated to urologic cancers, The Polsky Urologic Cancer Institute of the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University at Northwestern Memorial Hospital.
Dr. Joshua J. Meeks discusses the current understanding of genomics in bladder cancer.
- 04.03.2019Josh Meeks reviews the SWOG 1806 study protocol. The SWOG 1806 study Chemoradiotherapy With or Without Atezolizumab in Treating Patients With Localized Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer is expected to begin enrollment in May 2019.
Dr. Schaeffer discusses key take home messages from the prostate cancer presentations from ASCO GU 2019 conference
Dr. Nelson Bennett weighs in on the latest findings in male sexual health
Dr. Catalona comments on a new study published in @EUplatinum showing visual registration combined with image fusion results in high prostate cancer detection rates
- 12.14.2018Study led by Jindan Yu, MD, PhD, professor of Medicine in the Division of Hematology and Oncology and of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics discovered that an enzyme called EZH2 can activate expression of the androgen receptor gene, which drives prostate cancer growth.
- 10.30.2018A clinical trial led by Dr. Maha Hussain points to a drug to help lower the risk of prostate cancer.
- 09.20.2018According to a new study, the development of castration-resistant prostate cancer (CRPC) may be due to a lack of androgen receptor expression in prostate cancer cells, identifying a potential new therapeutic target. Featuring: Dr. William Catalona, Professor of Urology at Northwestern Medicine Feinberg School of Medicine.
Dr. Bennett shares his opinion on a new study showing that sperm count is a good indicator of general health.
- NewCures disrupts ‘valley of death’ by de-risking drugs for pharmaceutical and biomedical partnerships05.10.2018
NewCures aims to identify the most promising treatments in development at Northwestern
Dr. Schaeffer shares his expert opinion on prostate cancer screening.