Voices of Feinberg
Hear firsthand from students what makes the Feinberg School of Medicine a unique environment.
- Fri, 07 Mar 2014Next Friday, March 14, is Purple Friday! Let's make sure Chicago knows that Feinberg bleeds purple too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llmBgyS-rJk&feature=youtu.beSpread the word, 'Cats. Next Friday, March 14, is Purple Friday! You could win an iTunes gift card by showing the world your Purple Pride! To enter, just sha...
- Thu, 06 Mar 2014We are proud to share that a Northwestern University start-up is among 10 national finalists in the Breast Cancer Startup Challenge. What a great story! Lurie Cancer Center
http://bluesky.chicagotribune.com/originals/chi-northwestern-orpheden-therapeutics-startup-challenge-bsi-20140305,0,0.storybluesky.chicagotribune.comOrpheden Therapeutics, a Northwestern University-backed student startup, is among 10 finalists in the Breast Cancer Startup Challenge.
- Mon, 03 Mar 2014MD/PhD student Lauren Smith has received Northwestern's Presidential Fellowship for her research on upper limb prostheses. Way to go Lauren!
http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/news/2014/03/presidential_fellowship.htmlwww.feinberg.northwestern.eduSixth-year Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) student Lauren Smith received a Presidential Fellowship for her research on upper limb prostheses.
- Fri, 28 Feb 2014Newcomers to the Chicago campus have a plethora of restaurant options to choose from. Today, we're asking: What's your favorite close-to-campus restaurant? What special dishes should we try?
Yelp's #1 pick for Streeterville is Mity Nice, located inside Water Tower Mall. http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=restaurants&find_loc=Chicago%2C+IL&ns=1&ls=9a9db81afc6b65e4#l=p:IL:Chicago::Streetervillewww.yelp.comReviews on Restaurants in Chicago, IL Alinea, Girl & The Goat, MK Restaurant, La Scarola, Avec, Staropolska Restaurant, Blackbird, Prosecco, Sapori Trattoria, Topo Gigio Ristorante
- Wed, 26 Feb 2014Northwestern's internal medicine residency program has been ranked in the top 10 nationally by US News & World Report! Congratulations to the McGaw education team, all our residents, and our friends at Northwestern Memorial Hospital!
http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/news/2014/02/residency_list.htmlwww.feinberg.northwestern.eduThe internal medicine residency program at McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University has been listed as one of the most well-regarded postgraduate training experiences in the country.
- Mon, 24 Feb 2014Do you sit all day? Feinberg's Dorothy Dunlop, PhD, says you may be at a greater risk of disability after age 60.
http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/news/2014/02/sitting_risk.htmlwww.feinberg.northwestern.eduIf you're 60 and older, every additional hour a day you spend sitting is linked to doubling the risk of being disabled â€“ regardless of how much moderate exercise you get, reports a new Northwestern Medicine study.
- Thu, 20 Feb 2014Congratulations to Liming Li, PhD, associate professor in Molecular Pharmacology and Biological Chemistry, who has been named chair of the Women Faculty Organization (WFO)!
A member of the Center for Genetic Medicine, Northwestern University Institute of Neuroscience (NUIN) and Lurie Cancer Center, Li previously served as co-chair of the organization. Linda Ehrlich-Jones, PhD, research assistant professor in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, will take over that role.
Arriving at the medical school in 2002, Li has been a long-time member of the WFO.
http://fsmweb.northwestern.edu/faculty/FacultyProfile.cfm?xid=12338fsmweb.northwestern.eduAging; Biochemistry: Proteins; Genetics: Microbial; Infectious Diseases; Microbiology; Molecular Genetics; Nervous System Diseases; Proteins, Macromolecules
- Tue, 18 Feb 2014Feinberg Formal photos are here! This year's event was held on February 7 at the Radisson Aqua Blu Hotel. We love seeing our students have fun!
See the complete Feinberg Formal photo set on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/feinbergschoolofmedicine/sets/72157640785681515/
- Wed, 12 Feb 2014#Northwestern University's Prosthetics and Orthotics Center (NUPOC) is delivering timely technology to help amputees in developing nations.
http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/news/2014/02/NUPOC_dilatancy.htmlwww.feinberg.northwestern.eduFrom plastic cups in Kenya to a carved tree branch in El Salvador, seeing homemade artificial limbs around the globe broughtYeongchi Wu, MD,research associate professor ofPhysical Medicine and Rehabilitation, to the realization that there must be a more sustainable and cost-effective way to build re...
- Mon, 10 Feb 2014Did you see 60 Minutes last night, which featured an interview with Dr. Melina Kibbe? We encourage you to visit the story on the web, where you can find online extra segments with Dr. Kibbe and Dr. Teresa Woodruff on the topic of sex differences in medical research.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sex-matters-drugs-can-affect-sexes-differently/www.cbsnews.comMore and more, scientists are realizing that the differences between the sexes are dangerously understudied
- Wed, 05 Feb 2014As we excitedly await the Olympic opening ceremonies in Sochi, we are inspired to share one of Feinberg's most successful winter athletes: Department of Medicine Vice Chair Gary Martin, MD, 2013 short track speed skating champion in the Master's 60-69 Division. Congratulations on a remarkable achievement! Go #Northwestern!
Read all about Dr. Martin's speed skating success: http://aging.northwestern.edu/media/pdf/Annual2012.pdf#page=12
- Tue, 04 Feb 2014A lot of your friends will be turning their profile pictures purple today to mark World Cancer Day. We couldn't pick a better color for this important cause. Here's how you can change your profile picture.
And for those interested in taking support one step further, here is how you can help medical research at Northwestern University: http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/research/services/give.html
www.chevrolet.comPurple Roads: Turn your profile pictures purple in support of world cancer day on Feb.4th and we will donate $1 for each to the American Cancer Society.
- Fri, 31 Jan 2014Happy Chinese New Year to our Feinberg family and friends! For those looking to celebrate and kick off the year of the horse, here are a few events happening in Chicago:
http://www.choosechicago.com/chinesenewyear/www.choosechicago.comChicago travel information for visitors, meeting planners, and travel professionals.
- Thu, 30 Jan 2014Did you know that Feinberg offers more than 15 research graduate programs? More than 500 students are currently enrolled in graduate or master's programs, and 400 more are enrolled in graduate professional programs.
Learn more about all our research programs here: http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/research/grad-research/grad-programs.htmlwww.feinberg.northwestern.eduFeinberg offers a variety of doctorate and master's degree programs, as well as research certificate programs. More than 500 students are currently enrolled in graduate or master's programs, and 400 additional students are enrolled in graduate professional programs. These programs allow students toâ€¦
- Tue, 28 Jan 2014Photos from Feinberg's Endowed Professors Luncheon have been posted to Flickr. We wondered, students and alumni, who are or were your favorite professors, and what did they teach you?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/feinbergschoolofmedicine/sets/72157639842512573/www.flickr.comSets let you organize your photos on Flickr. Explore the 23 photos in this set.
- Mon, 27 Jan 2014New research: Northwestern scientists focus on synaptic development in Fragile X Syndrome. The project was supported by the Simons Foundation Autism Research Initiative and the FRAXA Research Foundation #autism
http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/news/2014/01/GABA_fragile_x.htmlwww.feinberg.northwestern.eduNorthwestern Medicine scientists have identified events that may contribute to delayed synaptic and neuronal development in fragile X syndrome, the most common known cause of autism.
- Fri, 24 Jan 2014Photos taken at "A Right Denied? The Connection between Equality, Women's Rights and Reproductive Health" panel discussion, one of several MLK Day events that took place on Northwestern's Chicago campus.
Learn more about the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine at http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu./
- Mon, 20 Jan 2014Northwestern University's Martin Luther King, Jr. Day week-long celebration includes civil rights activist Myrlie Evers-Williams and Nobel Peace Prize winner Warren M. Washington. A complete schedule of events for the Chicago and Evanston campuses can be found here.
The University has suspended all classes on Monday, Jan. 20, for a University-wide, full-day observance of MLK Day.
http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2013/12/civil-rights-activist,-scientist-take-podiums-for-mlk-celebration.html#sthash.MxS4Fr4D.dpufwww.northwestern.eduEVANSTON, Ill. --- Myrlie Evers-Williams -- a civil rights activist in 1963 when her activist husband Medgar Evers was infamously assassinated in Mississippi -- will deliver the keynote speech Jan. 27 at Pick-Staiger Concert Hall in Northwestern's University's weeklong Martin Luther King Jr. commemo...
- Fri, 17 Jan 2014
- Fri, 17 Jan 2014Third-year fellow at Feinberg Zheng "Frank" Zhou, MD, PhD, developed an enhanced prediction scale for large B-cell lymphoma to help physicians discern how good or bad a patient's prognosis might be. Great work!
http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/news/2014/01/lymphoma_index.html?utm_source=Website&utm_medium=Slideshow&utm_content=Enhanced%2BPrognoses%2BCould%2BHelp%2BLymphoma%2BPatients&utm_campaign=FSM%2BSlideshowwww.feinberg.northwestern.eduAn enhanced prediction scale for large B-cell lymphoma could help physicians discern how good or bad a patient's prognosis might be.
- Tue, 14 Jan 2014Meet Feinberg student Adenike Adewuyi, who is developing algorithms to improve the control of artificial limbs. Adewuyi is a third year student in the Medical Scientist Training Program at Feinberg, otherwise known as MSTP.
http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/news/2014/01/Adenike_Adewuyi.htmlwww.feinberg.northwestern.eduIt was over sharing ideas at a dinner conversation with her advisor and a physical therapist from the Center for Bionic Medicine that led to Adenike Adewuyi's PhD thesis project. A third-year Medical Scientist Training Program student, Adewuyi found the challenges that partial hand amputees face wit...
- Fri, 10 Jan 2014The University closed for two days earlier this week due to historic low temperatures. Here's a look at how the campus is faring in January. Feel free to send us your snow shots at email@example.com or post them to our page!
- Wed, 08 Jan 2014Welcome back to campus! Here is some news you may have missed during the extended cold snap: Interim Cancer Center Director Announced for Lurie Cancer Center
http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/news/2014/01/interim_cancer_director.htmlwww.feinberg.northwestern.eduNorthwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine has named Leonidas Platanias, MD, PhD, professor of Medicine-Hematology/Oncology, interim director of the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center of Northwestern University, effective immediately.