2010-2011 Northwestern EM News Archive
- Dr Amer Aldeen and Dr George Chiampas have created an organization called CCARES, the Chicago Cardiac Arrest Resuscitation Education Service, under the Department of Emergency Medicine. The goal of CCARES is to improve cardiac arrest survival in the city of Chicago by improving CPR and AED education of non-medical bystanders. CCARES advocates the use of Hands-Only CPR and AEDs by the general public. CCARES has worked with the Chicago Fire Department, Chicago City Council, American Heart Association, American Red Cross, Chicago Medical Society, Chicago Police Department, Chicago Public Schools among many other organizations to help in the effort to improve cardiac arrest survival. CCARES recently coordinated CPR training for the Chicago Area Runner's Association pacing runners in early preparation for the Bank of America Chicago Marathon. Current projects include working to help train Chicago Police Department officers with an online learning module. More information about CCares can be found here.
- Congratulations to Dr. Melissa Marinelli (NU EM '13) who won Best Resident Presenter at the 2011 CPC Semi-Final Competition at SAEM in Boston on June 1st! Melissa will compete in the CPC finals at ACEP in San Francisco in October.
- Dr. Jason Liebzeit (NU EM '06) will receive the "Young Educator of the Year Award" presented by the Clerkship Directors of Emergency Medicine (CDEM) at the 2011 SAEM Annual Meeting in Boston. Dr. Liebzeit was the Director of the Education College while in residency and he now focuses on undergraduate medical education at Emory School of Medicine. Congratulations, Jason!
- Dr. Britney Anderson (NU EM '07) has been named 2011 Best Associate Residency Director by the Emergency Medicine Residents Association for her work at Denver Health. Britney has had a longstanding interest in medical education and was Resident Director of the Education College while at Northwestern. We are very proud!
- Dr. Jennifer Chan will be presenting at a seminar lecture on Monday, May 2nd from 3:00 - 4:00pm. The topic is “GIS/ Mapping during crisis and in the Global Health Sector”. This public health seminar will take place in the Department of Preventative Medicine, 680 N. Lakeshore Dr., Suite 1400 in the Stamler conference room.
- 7th Annual Lewis Landberg Research Day: April 7, 2011
This year Emergency Medicine had two posters present at the Lewis Landberg Research Day. Click through to read about our participants and the excellent work they presented.
- Dr. Jamie Collings, Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine, has been named one of the Feinberg School of Medicine’s Faculty Mentors. As one of only four faculty mentors for the Northwestern Medical Students she is responsible to guide them through their entire 4 years. She will begin this role with the next incoming class. Her cohort will be named the “Collings College,” naturally. It is an honor for her and for our entire department.
- Congratulations to Dr. Katrina Leone (NU EM '10) and Dr. David Salzman (NU EM '09) for winning "Best Fellow Research Presentation" at the 2011 CORD Academic Assembly in San Diego
- Follow Dr. Rahul Khare as he works with Project Medishare
Dr. Rahul Khare is now back in Haiti volunteering with Project Medishare for one week. This is his second trip to Haiti in just under a year. He will be blogging this week on the department's Global EM Website, where you can read his stories, thoughts and impressions.
- Read the NUCATS Newsletter, Fall 2010. Dr. Rahul Khare is featured in an article on pg 5.
- Emergency Medicine has MOVED! Our new location is 211 E. Ontario Street, suite 200. The main number will remain the same (312)694-7000.
- Summer 2010 Research Newsletter
- Congratulations to Dr. Shana Kusin, the recipient of the 2010 SAEM Michael P. Spadafora Toxicology Scholarship to attend the North American Congress of Clinical Toxicology (NACCT) Conference.
- Chicago Medical Response to the 2010 Earthquake in Haiti: Translating Academic Collaboration into Direct Humanitarian Response featured in Concepts in Disaster Medicine. Click here to read the full article
- Congratulations to Dr. D. Mark Courtney for winning the 2009 SAEM Best Faculty Award.
- Congratulations to Dr. Jeremy Branzetti (class of 2010) and faculty mentor Dr. Amer Aldeen who won the Best Resident Presentation at SAEM
Learn more about the award
- Dr. George Chiampas has been reconized by the Greek America Foundation as one of the Forty Leaders Under 40.
Learn about Greek America's Forty Under 40 Award
Learn more about Dr. George Chiampas
- Dr. Rahul Khare has been elected into Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society as an alum of the University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Medicine
- Simulation Technology and Immersive Learning and Dr. John Vozenilek featured in JAMA. Click here to read the full article
- Institute of Medicine of Chicago to present the Global Humanitarian Award to 'Chicago's Reponse to the Crises in Haiti', including the Department of Emergency Medicine and the NU Center for Global Health