Read the latest news from Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine’s Comprehensive Transplant Center. The links below take you to articles where you can learn more about our faculty’s latest achievements, awards, and honors.
- Dr. Wertheim receives DOD award09.14.2018Dr. Wertheim received a DOD award from the U.S. Medical Research Acquisition Activity for his project entitled “Uncovering the circulating factor in FSGS” for a total $316,000 for two years.
- Dr. Wertheim receives NIH R01 award09.14.2018Dr. Wertheim received a NIH R01 award from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases for his project entitled, “Repairing the Kidney Endothelium via Targeted Extracellular Matrix Modifiers” for a total of $1,580,000 for five years.
- Dr. Kulik to be Keynote Speaker at DDW 201908.28.2018Laura Kulik, MD, will be the Keynote Speaker for Digestive Disease Week 2019 taking place in San Diego happening May 18-21, 2019. Congratulations on this honor Dr. Kulik! Click here for details on DDW.
- 07.26.2018Congratulations Dr. Wertheim on being named Associate Director for MSTP Admissions. To read more on the MSTP program please click here.
- 25th Anniversary of First Liver Transplant07.01.2018
NMH Celebrates 25th Anniversary of First Liver Transplant
Although Northwestern Memorial Hospital conducted its first kidney transplant in 1964, it did not expand its services to include pancreas and liver transplantation until 1993. While much has changed since those early days of organ transplantation, The Northwestern Medicine Comprehensive Transplant Center continues to be a leader in research and innovation.
The growth of transplantation in the last 25 years is staggering. The Northwestern Medicine Comprehensive Transplant Center has completed nearly 2,000 liver transplants and 5,000 kidney transplants since the program began.
Today, 120,000 people suffer from organ failure and are on the national waiting list for organs. Nearly 99,000 are waiting for kidneys and roughly 16,000 are waiting for livers. To learn more about the needs and how you can make a difference, visit organdonor.gov.
- Congratulations Dr. Abecassis04.04.20182018 Tripartite Legacy Faculty Prize in Translational Science and Education has been awarded to Michael Abecassis, MD, MBA, the James Roscoe Miller Distinguished Professor of Medicine and founding director of the Comprehensive Transplant Center. For full story and video click here.
- Transplant Surgery Fellowship Director Changes01.01.2018Congratulations Nitin Katariya, MD on your new role as Transplant Surgery Fellowship Program Director. Joseph Leventhal, MD, PhD will continue his involvement as the Assistant Program Director for the fellowship.
- Congratulations Dr. Leventhal12.19.2017Congratulations Dr. Leventhal for your recent research award from U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command for the study, "T Cell Receptor Repertoire Analysis as a Biomarker for Predicting Graft Rejection in Transplant Recipients".
- Congratulations Dr. Wertheim12.19.2017Congratulations on your named professorship Jason Wertheim, MD, PhD, Edward G. Elcock Professor of Surgical Research.
- Matches Made in Heaven: 8 patients involved in kidney swap meet07.10.2017NBC Nightly News covers the story of 8 patients meeting their kidney donors for the first time post-surgery
- Pen pals of 47 years share incredible bond, bolstered by kidney donation05.31.2017
Pen pals of 47 years share incredible bond, bolstered by kidney donation. Click here for full story.
- Congratulations Dr. Wertheim!05.16.2017Congratulations Jason Wertheim, MD, PhD on receiving the 2017 AST Basic Science Career Development Award!
- VA surgeon researching cell-based tools to create artificial kidney03.24.2017Dr. Jason Wertheim, surgeon and biomedical engineer at the Jesse Brown VA Medical Center is part of a project called (Re)Building a Kidney (RBK), a consortium led by the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases (NIDDK) at the National Institutes of Health. The consortium, which includes about 25 biologists and engineers from around the country, is trying to develop tools that will facilitate development of an artificial kidney in the future. To read more please click here also check out the VA Facebook page.
- Chicago Police Officer in need of Liver03.06.2017
Dr. Flamm recently featured in a news story regarding a Chicago Police Officer's need for liver transplant. Click here to watch.
- Dr. Abecassis discusses increase in organ transplants02.27.2017
Dr. Abecassis discusses increase in organ transplants due to recent change in donation age and living donor programs on FOX 32 Morning News. Click here to watch interview.
- Illinois plans to lower age requirement to be organ donor02.03.2017Dr. Leventhal was recently featured in a news story regarding Illinois' plans to lower age requirement to be organ donor so that more lives can be saved. Please click here to watch the story.
- Congratulations Drs. Leventhal and Mathew02.01.2017Congratulations to Drs. Leventhal and Mathew who were awarded a $300,000 Falk Catalyst Award for their project "Clinical Transplant Tolerance Induction by the Use of Ex Vivo Expanded Antigen Specific Regulatory T Cells" . The Catalyst Awards provide an opportunity to conduct preliminary work on high-risk, high-reward research addressing a wide variety of clinical disease areas.
- Dr. Wertheim receives funding award11.30.2016
Dr. Jason Wertheim’s application for a VA Merit Review Award, Extracellular Matrix Induction of Renal Stem and Progenitor Cell Development, was selected for funding by the Jesse Brown VA Medical Center.
- Congratulations to Drs. Juan Carlos Caicedo and Elisa Gordon11.29.2016Congratulations to Drs. Juan Carlos Caicedo and Elisa Gordon on receiving the 31st Annual Gift of Life Award by the National Kidney Foundation for Informate.org. Their contributions to the this culturally sensitive website which educates thousands of people in the Latino community on the benefits and risks of living donation was recognized at the Gift of Life Gala on November 12.
- Congratulations Teaching Award Recipients10.12.2016Teaching awards recognize faculty members who excel at supporting resident and medical student learning. We are grateful for their efforts in distinguishing themselves as outstanding educators. The 2015‐2016 Excellence in Teaching award recipients in the Department of Surgery are: Jon Fryer, MD, MPHE & Felicitas Koller, MD. The Department of Medicine 2016 John X. Thomas, Jr., PhD, Best Teachers of Feinberg Award Recipient includes Bing Ho, MD, MPH.
- Dr. Leventhal hosts 2nd Annual International Workshop on Clinical Tolerance09.30.2016Dr. Joseph Leventhal hosted the 2nd Annual International Workshop on Clinical Tolerance on September 30 - October 2, 2016. Sixty international attendees participated in this workshop, which included a comprehensive review of all ongoing trials of tolerance in solid organ transplant and a discussion of current and future challenges to widespread clinical application of tolerance induction protocols.
- Dr. Abecassis hosts colloquium highlighting work from Program Project Grant (P01)09.01.2016Dr. Michael Abecassis hosted a colloquium highlighting the work from the first year of the Program Project Grant (P01). The half-day session, CMV P01 Symposium: Epigenetics of Cytomegalovirus Latency and Reactivation, featured expert speakers from around the country. The following day the annual joint meeting of the P01 Internal and External Advisory Boards was held. During this meeting, all three projects and the three cores presented progress and next steps and gained valuable feedback from the Advisory Board members.
- Organ Summit at The White House07.11.2016please click here.
- Congratulations to Jason Wertheim, MD, PhD07.07.2016
Congratulations to Jason Wertheim, MD, PhD on receiving an AST-TRN Faculty Research Grant, “Engineering Podocyte Microenvironments”. Dr. Wertheim is also the recipient of a VA Merit Review grant, “Extracellular Matrix Induction of Renal Stem and Progenitor Cell Development”.
- Congratulations on the BAA Award07.01.2016
Congratulations to Mike Ison, MD on being selected for a BAA-NIAID-DMID-NIH-AI-2014028 Award, entitled "Targeted Clinical Research to Address Select Viral Infections." This is a national study with 13 sites, including NU.
- Northwestern Magazine's Spring Issue06.22.2016
Northwestern Magazine's Spring Issue contains an article on the research lead by Dr. Joseph Leventhal. To read full article on Innovative cell-based approaches induce immune tolerance in kidney transplant recipients please click here.
- Congratulations on the NIH R01 Award03.21.2016
Congratulations to Dr. Caicedo and Dr. Gordon who received an NIH R01 from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases!
A Culturally Targeted Transplant Program to Increase Living Kidney Donation is a study that aims to implement and evaluate Northwestern Medicine’s Hispanic Kidney Transplant Program (HKTP), a culturally-competent transplant center-based intervention, at two transplant centers serving large Hispanic populations as a way to rapidly disseminate the HKTP as a novel approach to increase Hispanic LDKTs nationally.
- Dr. Abecassis named a Top Doctor in Chicago Magazine01.14.2016Michael Abecassis, MD named on the 2016 Chicago magazine list of Top Doctors. For the full list and an explanation of how Top Doctors are chosen, visit the Chicago magazine website.
- Dr. Caicedo was interviewed by USA Today01.11.2016Dr. Juan Caicedo was interviewed by USA Today about "Telenovelas, Spanish website seek to inform Hispanics about Kidney Donations" found here.