The department of Physical Therapy and Human Movement Sciences at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine is dedicated to educating doctors of physical therapy and movement scientists in an academic medical environment that integrates research, education, and clinical care. Our goal is to promote optimal health outcomes for our patients and society through the advancement of rehabilitation science and practice. The department, ranked among the top 10 U.S. physical therapy schools by U.S. News & World Report, is the oldest physical therapy program in the U.S. and has garnered a global reputation for:
- Excellence in training the next generation of leaders in physical therapy practice and research through our professional and post-professional education programs.
- Training new researchers in the field of movement and rehabilitation sciences (MRS).
- Development and implementation of technology-supported therapeutic interventions.
- Advances in rehabilitation science including the quantification of movement disorders and clinical outcomes.
All that we do in our department is focused on living our mission
- To educate doctors of physical therapy and movement scientists in an academic medical environment that integrates research, education, and clinical care.
- To promote optimal health outcomes for our patients and society through the advancement of rehabilitation science and practice.
- To be a diverse faculty and student body producing global leaders in the profession of physical therapy and the science of human movement.
We invite you to learn more about our department via the links below.
- Chair’s Message
Meet our chair, Jules Dewald, PT, PhD, and get his insights on our department’s goals
Learn more about our department’s milestones and leadership
Connect with alumni resources
Help our department reach our goals
Find the latest information on department and faculty achievements
Attend an upcoming departmental event
- Contact Us
Connect with our administrative staff
Safe and Healthy Learning Environment
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine believes that an effective learning environment is one in which all involved are treated with respect. Discover how we foster a safe and healthy learning environment and connect with student support resources.
The Department of Physical Therapy and Human Movement Sciences welcomes your interest in our department and programs. Please submit a request for information.
PTHMS values feedback and complaints that relate to its curriculum, students, faculty, and graduates from individuals or organizations outside the University. We strive to respond in an efficient and effective manner. To file a complaint with The Department of Physical Therapy and Human Movement Sciences, you may email the Chair, Julius P.A. Dewald, PT, PhD. You will receive a response within 2-3 days.