Chief Residents' Message
Hello and welcome prospective PM&R applicants!
We are excited to serve as the 2023-2024 chief residents for the truly amazing PM&R family at Northwestern University. Our residency is dedicated to offering unparalleled learning experiences in a highly supportive environment. Not only will you graduate as clinical experts in the fundamentals of PM&R practice, but you will also have many opportunities to specialize your training in the way that matters most to you. Moreover, you will build lasting relationships with co-residents, faculty, and alumni – as your friends, teachers, and steadfast advocates.
Our program empowers residents to seek clinical growth, practice impactful care, and balance personal wellness. We hope you consider becoming part of our Northwestern family. Please reference below for additional highlights of our program.
Ashley, Lumi, and Maddie
What Makes Us Unique
- A wide spectrum of medical conditions and pathologies with patients from various medical facilities including the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago, Jesse Brown VA Medical Center, and Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center.
- Inpatient rehabilitation rotations with dedicated specialty services, including spinal cord injury, brain injury, stroke, amputation, medically complex, cancer, and pediatric rehabilitation.
- Chair Rounds is a weekly high-yield didactic sessions with our department chair, Elliot Roth, MD.
- A comprehensive musculoskeletal curriculum consisting of anatomy lectures, hands-on physical exam practice, and advanced ultrasound workshops.
- In addition, we offer an annual diagnostic & interventional ultrasound course with alumni from across the country for musculoskeletal conditions and spasticity.
- An annual interventional spine course taught by faculty from the musculoskeletal and pain clinics.
- Rapidly expanding simulation curricula involving rehabilitation emergencies, pediatric emergencies, and baclofen pump training.
- Unlimited access to internationally renowned courses in a variety of PM&R subspecialties hosted by the AbilityLab Academy.
- A wide network of alumni across the country, available for career mentorship and job opportunities.
- Personalized educational opportunities tailored to each resident’s specific interests, including weekly continuity clinic during PGY2-PGY4 training years.
- Numerous research opportunities, including collaboration with our in-house, full-time scientists and clinician scientists, an optional five-year intensive research track and institutional support to present cases and research abstracts at academic conferences locally, nationally and internationally.
- Northwestern McGaw resident benefits, including discounts on goods and services around Chicago, involvement in the Housestaff Association and optional clinical scholars certificate programs in Global Health, Bioethics, Health Equality & Advocacy and Medical Education.
- The option to pursue an evening and weekend MBA program through Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion through a formal resident and faculty DEI committee and ongoing recruitment efforts and initiatives
- Community engagement around Chicago, including adaptive sailing, community musculoskeletal clinic, SkyRise Chicago, and events such as Chicago Marathon and Ravinia Performing Arts Festival.
- A large and welcoming residency program with a robust Wellness Committee, interclass resident and attending Family program, numerous social events, and spontaneous outings to explore all that Chicago has to offer.
Come be a part of the future in Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation with us.