The mission of the Area of Scholarly Concentration (AOSC) is to train Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine students to perform a highly mentored project which culminates with the writing of a thesis. AOSC projects related to integrative medicine AOSCs can be developed in collaboration with our research faculty, through the Medical Social Sciences- Outcomes Research area of investigation. Osher Center research faculty mentor medical students across the four years in a research project. This process allows MD students to conduct a hypothesis-driven investigation or formal project in biomedical research or medically-related field.
Matthew J Mosquera (FSM Class of 2017) worked with faculty mentors to develop and validate a new measurement tool of medical student stress and burnout. His AOSC work was accepted for oral and poster presentations at two international medical conferences: the International Conference to Promote Resilience, Empathy and Well-Being in the Health Professions and the International Congress on Integrative Medicine and Health.
Current Feinberg MD students exploring integrative medicine research through their AOSC Projects:
FSM CLASS OF 2019
- Max Kazer is exploring self-directed stress reduction in the medical education setting
- Carla Berkowitz is working on a survey of integrative providers' knowledge of nutrition and cleanses
- Sara Diaz is evaluating barriers facing integrative medicine physicians in diagnosing and treating obesity
FSM CLASS OF 2020
- Apoorva Ram is exploring an anthropologic study on community and patient use of integrative medicine
- Sara Cohen is exploring a project related to mindfulness meditation
FSM CLASS OF 2017
- Matthew Mosquera is working to develop and validate a new measurement tool of medical student stress and burnout.
- Richard Greendyk is working on an evaluation of OCIM’s 360 Program, which provides free acupuncture and massage services to cancer patients receiving treatment at the Maggie Daley Center and the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center
Our research faculty act as mentors for Osher Center for Integrative Medicine AOSC projects. Please contact our Director of Research Judy Moskowitz, PhD for information.
For additional information about any of our MD education programs, contact Nancy Heap.