Prospective applicants apply to HPME during the fall of the applicant’s senior year in high school. In order to apply to HPME, an application request must be submitted. The HPME application is requested through undergraduate admissions. When the request period opens in fall, prospective applicants can request a program application.
Familiarize yourself with our entrance requirements prior to requesting an application. Incorporate as much relevant academic detail as possible in your request.
- Students that request the application should enter as much relevant academic information as possible on the request (i.e. entrance exam scores, AP, IB and honors coursework, etc.). Requests with too little information may be denied.
- Only students that demonstrate superior high school achievement and academic aptitude will receive an application.
- Requestors who do not receive a program application are encouraged to consider traditional four year baccalaureate programs at Northwestern.
- Only academic information is taken into consideration on the application request. Extracurricular activities, awards and honors will not be considered at this stage in the application process and should not be included on the application request.
- The HPME application must be submitted in addition to the Common Application for undergraduate admission.
- Students must apply regular decision as we do not offer early admission to HPME applicants.
- Applicants must submit the application materials via the unique online application link that he or she is given when his or her application request was accepted. Only materials submitted this way will be reviewed. Materials via mail or fax to the HPME office, including letters of recommendation and transcripts, will not be considered.
HPME Admissions Policy
The HPME Selection Committee reviews applicants for the Honors Program in Medical Education (HPME) after an initial review is completed by the Undergraduate Admissions Office. The HPME Selection Committee is a subcommittee of the Feinberg School of Medicine Admissions Committee and consists of 10 appointed Feinberg School of Medicine faculty and two students. The Feinberg Associate Dean for Admissions is a voting member of the HPME Admissions Committee and serves as an application reviewer and interviewer for selected candidates to discuss their motivation in seeking the MD via the BA/MD program.
The HPME Selection Committee meets annually to review all candidates and make recommendations for admission. All 12 members have voting privileges. A minimum of 9 members must be present for a quorum at the HPME Selection Committee meeting. All candidates recommended for acceptance by the subcommittee are reviewed and approved by the Feinberg School of Medicine Executive Admissions Committee. Only the Feinberg School of Medicine Admissions Committee can accept students to the Feinberg School of Medicine.
Members of the HPME Selection Committee complete a conflict of interest (COI) session each year and are asked annually to declare any potential conflicts of interest. Potential conflicts with HPME applicants include a family member or other personal relationship (i.e. close family friend). If a conflict of interest exists, the HPME selection committee member must recuse themselves from the committee for the entire application year. This expectation is reviewed in writing annually with committee members.
Important Dates and Deadlines
- HPME application request: October - December 1
- HPME application due: January 1
- Common Application for Undergraduate Admission: January 1
- Required tests (ACT or SAT Reasoning Test; SAT Subject Tests (Math Level 2 and Chemistry): Testing dates no later than November for all exams
- Select applicants are invited to interview in Chicago: February - March
- Accepted applicants are notified: April 1
Students enrolled in HPME are required to meet academic and GPA requirements in order to matriculate at Feinberg. More information regarding these requirements can be found on the FAQ page.