Information for Feinberg
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak in Illinois, a variety of considerations are necessary to accommodate the life cycle of our clinical work, educational programs, and clinical training activities. We are committed to the health of our students, faculty, and staff, and to the communities and patients we serve. Every effort is being made by our hospital affiliates to conduct our patient care activities thoughtfully, and each entity will exercise their preferred processes to maximize everyone’s safety.
The following information is specific to Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine's Feinberg Return to Campus Plan.
Northwestern University continues to update university-wide guidance on an ongoing basis.
Clinical Care Information
All patient care activities will follow the lead and guidance provided by each of our clinical affiliates.
Education Guidance for Feinberg
- Galter Library is open only to Feinberg School of Medicine affiliated faculty, staff, students, residents, and fellows. Read more from the Galter Health Sciences Library and Learning Center website.
- Essential training and education activities at the Simulation Laboratory are available for departments who have scheduled activities. We are also able to postpone courses and sessions upon request.
- Northwestern University has developed an FAQ for teaching remotely.
- M1 and M2 students are participating in a hybrid curriculum with both virtual and in-person components.
- M3 and M4 students are engaged in full clinical required and elective courses and clerkships.
- Clinical clerkships will continue using a virtual teaching format for didactic conferences in August.
- We are reviewing educational experiences to ensure learning objectives are met.
For more information, go to the COVID-19 MD Student Resources section of the MD Education program site.
- All McGaw residency and fellowship programs are continuing clinical activities with schedules determined by the program director and department chairs.
- GME conferences have moved to an on-line format and continue to meet educational objectives.
Other Degree Programs
- Physician Assistant students have returned to classroom and clerkship teaching in a phased approach.
- Student clinical training for all allied health profession programs (e.g. Physical Therapy, Orthotics, Physician Assistant, and Clinical Genetics) will be modified as needed based on clinical site availability and accreditation guidelines
Research Guidance for Feinberg
- Feinberg has posted new guidelines for Chicago campus research. Information for clinical research is included in the guidance document.
- Northwestern's Office for Research has published new guidance for ramping up research and has continued to post information for conducting essential research on campus.
- NUCATS has compiled a list of COVID-19 funding opportunities and resources.
Administrative and Technical Information for Employees Working Remotely
- Northwestern University has compiled resources to help our community teach, learn and work during this time - including web conferencing, online chat and file sharing, and call forwarding and voicemail management. Additionally, Feinberg-specific information is available to complement these materials.
- Feinberg's Office of Finance and Administration has published interim changes to payroll transaction processing while working in a remote environment.
- Northwestern University has implemented changes to accounts payable, mailroom, and other office services that impact the Chicago campus.
- The Chicago Parking Office in Abbott Hall is now closed until further notice. However, Departments and employees of Feinberg remain eligible to purchase parking coupons for Chicago campus lots for individuals who cannot work from home and who typically commute via public transit. During this time, employees in need of daily parking passes may pick up at the Erie/Ontario garage customer service office. The customer service office is located off the first floor vehicle exit on Ontario Street between the Southeast and Southwest elevator lobbies. Departments may also purchase visitor parking coupons for issuance to those individuals. We will continue to evaluate parking capacity and communicate further updates in April.
- More information is available on the Transportation and Parking website.
- As of August 1, 2020, Starbucks in Searle and Slice in SQBRC, are open. Smart Market in SQBRC remains stocked and open as well. Beefsteak and Best of Local in SQBRC remain temporarily closed.