MPH Culminating Experience
The culminating experience is a capstone-style extensive investigation or practice-related project completed during students' final year of study. The culminating experience process provides the structure that allows the student to take responsibility for and to succeed in the development, conduct and completion of the project. While some students complete their investigations with Northwestern, others seek opportunities to partner with a community group or government agency for their project.
Culminating experience resources, such as orientation modules, timelines, and other related documents can be accessed here.
- The Efficiency of Analytics Projects at Chicago Department of Public Health: a Case Study and Needs Assessment
- Trends in Exposure to Firearms and Violence among Chicago Public High School Students: Findings from the Youth Risk Behavioral Survey, 2007–2013
- Understanding Infrastructure Related Issues and Gap-Filling Measures in Public Health Projects in Developing Countries
- Comparison of Publicly vs. Privately Provided Tuberculosis Care in Chicago, 2008-2011
- Correlates of Short Interpregnancy Intervals: A Prospective Cohort Study of Pennsylvanian Women
MPH Applied Practice Experience
The applied practice experience (APEx) is an internship with a community organization or government agency with the purpose of gaining firsthand public health experience. Partners orient students to their organizations mission and operations and have students assist or lead in projects that meet the needs of their organization and the populations served. Dependent on interests and concentrations, applied practice experience projects can be done domestically with our community partners or internationally through the Institute for Global Health.
Applied practice experience resources, such as timelines, poster examples, and other related documents can be accessed here.
- Spring 2019: MD/MPH, PhD/MPH and Part-Time/MPH Students
- Spring 2019: 1 Year MPH Students
- Fall 2019: MD/MPH, PhD/MPH and Part-Time/MPH Students
- Spring 2020: MD/MPH, PhD/MPH and Part-Time/MPH Students
- Spring 2020: 1 Year MPH Students
- Fall 2020: MD/MPH, PhD/MPH and Part-Time/MPH Students
- Spring 2021: MD/MPH, PhD/MPH and Part-Time/MPH Students
- Spring 2021: 1 Year MPH Students
- Fall 2021: MD/MPH, PhD/MPH and Part-Time/MPH Students
- Community health screenings and interventions with the Diabetes Empowerment Center in Humboldt Park
- Development of a needs-assessment for the Erie Family Health Teen Center in five different Chicago neighborhoods by conducting focus groups, interviews and evaluation of other youth programs.
- Designing a culturally-relevant curriculum for Kindergartners in Quito, Ecuador to combat risk factors leading to obesity and heart-disease.
- Facilitating student-led discussions on non-violent relationships and safe sex as part of Chicago Youth Program’s work with students on the south side of Chicago.
- Implementing a data collection plan to identify high-needs students within Chicago Public Schools for program outreach/enrollment by Chicago Department of Public Health.