Digital Health and Data Science Component in Medical Education Curriculum
Understanding and using digital healthcare and data science is integral to the practice of medicine. To ensure Northwestern medical students graduate with the knowledge and experience they will need, David Liebovitz, MD, co-director of I.AIM’s Center for Medical Education in Digital Healthcare and Data Science,and Mahesh Vaidyanathan, MD, MBA, assistant professor of Anesthesiology, have developed a new component of the medical education curriculum.
Students learn how to incorporate data, machine learning, and other tools into their practice in order to personalize patient care and improve outcomes. Mastering core competencies of the curriculum ensure students gain a solid foundation that can ultimately have a positive impact on healthcare systems. Read more about the curriculum.
Resources for Increasing Proficiency in Digital Health
- Data Science Notebook -- Preview a data file’s contents, manipulate data, create neat visualizations, analyze data, and apply machine learning to develop models and test them
- Chicago Health Atlas -- Review, explore, and compare health-related data over time and across communities
- Galter Health Sciences Library & Learning Center | Classes (northwestern.edu) -- Take classes (including SQL)
- Galter Health Sciences Library & Learning Center | DataLab (northwestern.edu) -- Receive consultation, training, and collaborative services to assist with research projects
- Galter Health Sciences Library & Learning Center | Libguides (northwestern.edu) -- Use EndNote to manage citations and article repositories
- Kaggle -- Find open medical datasets and machine learning projects to use for learning
- Orange -- Access this tool for open-source machine learning and data visualization
- Patient-Reported Outcomes Measurement Information System (PROMIS) -- Access person-centered measures that evaluates and monitors physical, mental, and social health in adults and children
Apps and App Design Resources
- Apple ResearchKit and CareKit -- Use this open-source code to design health apps