The mission of the Center for Brain Stimulation (CBS) is to provide access to state-of-the-art noninvasive human brain stimulation capabilities. We especially focus on transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) and its combination with brain recording techniques such as electroencephalography (EEG) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). We work with pre-clinical and clinical investigators at the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab and Northwestern University as well as academic and industrial partners worldwide. With help from our patients and healthy volunteers, we focus on creating brain stimulation techniques that advance motor, sensory-perceptual, cognitive, and affective well-being. We also provide educational opportunities to train the next generation of researchers and clinicians to use brain stimulation techniques safely and effectively.
Equipment & Services
- TMS Stimulators
- 3 x MagPro X100 with MagOption (MagVenture, Farum, Denmark)
- 2 x Nexstim NBT 1.2 (Nexstim, Helsinki, Finland)
- 1 x Nexstim NBS 4.3
- 1 x Nexstim NBS 3.1
- 1 x Magstim Rapid2 (Magstim, Carmarthenshire, UK)
- 2 x Magstim Bistim2 = 4 x Magstim 2002
- TMS Navigators
- LOCALITE (Localite GmbH, St Augustin, Germany) - customized for multi-coil support
- Nexstim navigators integrated in each Nexstim stimulator
- BrainSight (Rogue Research Inc., Montreal, Quebec, Canada)
- TMS Coils
- MagPro: 1 x MC-125 / 1 x MCF-B65 / 2 x C-B60 / 2 x MC-B70 / 1 x MC-B35 / 2 x Cool-B65 / 1 x Cool-B65 A/P / 3 x Cool-B35 (HO, HP) / 1 x Cool-D50 / 1 x Cool-DB80 double-cone coil / 2 x MC-P-B70 / 1 x MCF-P-B65 / 1 x Cool-MRi-B91
- Magstim: 1 x 70-mm figure-of-eight (9925), 2 x double-cone coil, 2 x 60-mm figure-of-eight branding iron coils, 1 x custom batwing 90-mm figure-of-eight coil
- Nexstim: 4 x 70-mm figure-of-eight
- TMS Coil Coolers
- MagPro: 3 x Cooler for Cool Coils with High-Performance Option (circulating liquid cooling with refrigerator stage)
- MagPro: MRI Coil Holder for MagPro MRi-B91 (for simultaneous TMS-MRI)
- EEG equipment (TMS/MRI-compatible)
- NeurOne 64 (Mega Electronics, Kuopio, Finland). Allows 64 EEG (monopolar) and 16 EMG (bipolar) channels, AC and DC recording modes, sampling frequency up to 20 kHz. Includes Synchronization Unit for unaliased TMS-EEG and TMS-MRI recordings (Mega Electronics, Kuopio, Finland). EasyCap 64-channel EEG caps S/M/L with TMS-compatible electrodes (Brain Products GmbH, Gilching, Germany).
- Stimulus computers and programs
- A stimulus PC desktop running Presentation (Neurobehavioral systems) is available for delivery of auditory and visual stimuli and for recording behavioral responses.
- You may also use your own stimulus laptop.
- MRI access
- Siemens 3T Prisma at the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab or Northwestern University Center for Translational Imaging.
- Tech Support
- A full-time TMS/EEG technologist trained to use the equipment at CBS.
- The staff also offer advice on design and development of brain stimulation experiments conducted at CBS.
- We organize a 1-day TMS Safety Course that is a prerequisite for access to CBS.
- Rapid-response 24/7 in-house MD-led medical emergency team.
All scientific publications utilizing any CBS instrumentation or services are required to include the following acknowledgement:
"This work was supported by the Center for Brain Stimulation (CBS) at the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab, Northwestern University and National Institutes of Health (NIH) Grant 1S10OD020080-01."
345 East Superior St
Chicago, IL 60611