Reports for Northwestern's finance, facilities, and research administration (FFRA) are available via the Business Intelligence system called Cognos. Access Cognos at https://reporting.northwestern.edu or via the NUPortal. For a complete catalog of Cognos reports with descriptions see the Report Inventories. Training and resources are available in myHR Learn in the Cognos category.
The most commonly used Cognos financial reports are –
- GL005 – Summary Budget Status (non-sponsored) - Summarizes budget to actuals for revenue and expenses for a specific Fund, Dept ID, & Project by account.
- GL008 –Revenue and Expense Activity Report (sponsored or non-sponsored) - detailed view of the transactions for the current period.
- GL068 – Financial Summary (non-sponsored) A summary view of all the chart strings that you have access to (there are prompts so you can specify fund, department ID or projects). Summarizes at the chart string level. Doesn’t include sponsored projects, you can use GL069 if you also want to see sponsored projects.
- GM011 – Sponsored Research Expenditures Report – direct, indirect, & total costs by project ID. Can run by school, department, PI, or project type for specific date range.
- GM044 – Sponsored Projects Portfolio - Used by PI’s, Department Administrators, and ASRSP to view budget balances on sponsored projects by project and by project/budget category.
- GM045 – Sponsored Project Budget Statement - Used by PI’s, Department Administrators, and ASRSP to review the status of direct and indirect expenditures against the total budget amount along with project demographic data on sponsored projects. The dollars will broken out and shown by Current Accounting Period, Fiscal Year to Date, and Inception to Date.
- GE007 – User Security Profile - Run by user name or NetID, gives you the user’s NUFinancials access.
- GE008 – Department Workflow Approval Profile - Run by department, gives the workflow approval for the department.
- GE010 – Department Row Level Security Profile - Run by department, shows who can see a department’s data on reports, etc.