Accepted Team Scientist Offer
The offer letter your candidate received indicated that the faculty appointment was contingent on approval by the Dean, APT Committee (if applicable), and Provost. Now that your finalist has accepted your offer, follow these steps to complete the appointment paperwork needed to obtain those approvals.
Step 1: Finalize Offer in Business Plan DatabaseUpdate candidate's acceptance in the business plan database and confirm offer documentation is complete
- Notify the Faculty Affairs Office that the candidate has accepted the offer and the business plan will be updated
- Confirm the final offer letter (signed by the Department Chair) has been uploaded to the business plan
Note: The final letter should be uploaded at the time of sending the offer to the candidate.
- Upload the candidate's acceptance of the offer, if written acceptance was provided
Step 2: Collect Documents from the CandidateThese candidate documents are required to complete the appointment process.
Step 3: Solicit Reference LettersUse the referee list you collected in Step 2 to solicit reference letters.
Use the referee list you collected in Step 2 to solicit reference letters.
Before requesting letters, confirm the appropriateness of the referees:
- Referee rank must be at least as high as rank candidate will hold at NU
- Referees must be external to NU
- No more than 2 letters from the same institution (geographic range of referees demonstrates the breadth of a candidates reputation, which is especially important for appointments at the ranks of Associate Professor and Professor)
How to solicit reference letters:
The Department Chair's office should contact the referees on the candidate's referee list to request letters of reference. Referees may provide their letters by email (either as an attachment or typed into the text of the email itself). The letters must remain confidential and not be shared with the candidate or any individuals outside those who are involved in evaluating the candidate for appointment.
- Reference letter solicitation template for Team Scientists
Template for contacting referees to request letters of reference
- Career track criteria for Team Scientists
It is recommended that you share the career track criteria with the referees
Step 4: Prepare/Distribute Additional Required DocumentsExpedite the appointment and onboarding processes by completing these steps while you wait to receive reference letters.
- E-mail candidate's completed New Faculty Research Questionnaire to FAO, if candidate will do research
This will help FSM anticipate the needs of the candidate as he or she transitions to NU
- Coordinate Additional Appointments
- Secondary Appointments: In the offer letter, was the candidate offered a secondary appointment in another department? If so, contact the administrators in the secondary department to coordinate paperwork. You can add the secondary appointment paperwork to your appointment packet so that everything is processed together.
- Endowed Professorships: In the offer letter, was the candidate offered an endowed professorship? If so, complete the nomination process.
- Prepare Position Data/Appointment Forms
- Prepare one set for the primary position, and one set for each additional position the candidate will hold in myHR (e.g., secondary appointment, faculty administrative appointment, "NMG Member" position, etc.)
Step 5: Deliver Complete Appointment Packet to FAOSubmit paper copies of the following documents to FAO in the order listed:
- New Appointment Cover Sheet
- Prior correspondence with FAO regarding special circumstances, if applicable
- Reference Letters
- Personal Data Form
- Position Data/Appointment Forms, one set for the primary position, and one set for each additional position in myHR (e.g., secondary appointments, faculty administrative appointments)