Accepted Investigator Offer
FSM faculty appointments require approval by the FSM Dean, FSM APT Committee (if applicable), and NU Provost. For appointments of tenure-eligible Investigators (Assistant/Associate Professor ranks), those approvals are typically obtained before the offer letter is sent to the candidate, but for tenured Investigators (Associate/Full Professor ranks), those approvals are typically obtained after the candidate has accepted the offer.
Now that your finalist has accepted your offer, follow these steps to complete the paperwork needed to obtain appointment approvals (if applicable) and to finalize the appointment in myHR, generating the netID and NU email address.
Step 1: Finalize Offer in Business Plan DatabaseUpdate candidate's acceptance in the business plan database and confirm offer documentation is complete
- Notify the Faculty Affairs Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) that the candidate has accepted the offer and the business plan will be updated. If the candidate will be employed by NMG, also notify email@example.com. This notification triggers NMG to prepare the Employment Agreement. Contact NMG if you have questions about their process.
- Confirm the final offer letter (signed by the Department Chair) has been uploaded to the business plan
Note: The final letter should be uploaded at the time of sending the offer to the candidate.
- Upload the candidate's acceptance of the offer, if written acceptance was provided
Step 2: Collect Documents from the CandidateThese candidate documents are required to complete the appointment process.
These candidate documents are required to complete the appointment process.
- New Faculty Research Questionnaire
- Personal Data Form
- For TENURED appointments only: List of 6-8 external referee names*
- Referee rank must be at least as high as rank candidate will hold at NU
- Referees must be external to NU
- No more than 2 referees from the same institution (geographic range of referees is evidence of national reputation)
Step 3: E-mail Research Questionnaire and Referee List to FAOExpedite the appointment process by emailing these documents to FAO as soon as possible following a candidate's acceptance
- Candidate's completed New Faculty Research Questionnaire
This will help FSM anticipate the needs of the candidate as he or she transitions to NU
- For the ranks of TENURED ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR and PROFESSOR only: send referee list to FAO by email
FAO will solicit reference letters while the department prepares the remaining appointment paperwork
Step 4: Prepare/Distribute Additional Required DocumentsPrepare paperwork and coordinate with other offices before sending the appointment packet to FAO
- Coordinate Additional Appointments
- Secondary Appointments: In the offer letter, was the candidate offered a secondary appointment in another department? If so, contact the administrators in the secondary department to coordinate paperwork. You can add the secondary appointment paperwork to your appointment packet so that everything is processed together.
- Endowed Professorships: In the offer letter, was the candidate offered an endowed professorship? If so, complete the nomination process.
- Prepare Position Data/Appointment Forms
- Prepare one set for the primary position, and one set for each additional position the candidate will hold in myHR (e.g., secondary appointment, faculty administrative appointment, "NMG Member" position, etc.)
- For NMG-employed candidates:
- The "NMG Member" record should always be Record 1 in myHR
- Obtain NMG Payroll's approval of the Position Data/Appointment forms. Deliver the forms to NMG Payroll for signature and pick them up from NMG Payroll after they are signed. NMG will compare your forms against the approved business plan to make sure the salary aligns with what was approved in the offer. They will also wait until the Employment Agreement is fully executed (process initiated in Step 1 above) to approve the payroll forms. Any questions about the NMG submission and approval process should be directed to NMG.
Step 5: Deliver Complete Appointment Packet to FAOSubmit paper copies of the following documents to FAO in the order listed:
- New Appointment Cover Sheet, select appropriate one:
Tenure-Eligible Investigator (Assistant/Associate Professor)
TENURED Investigator (Associate/Full Professor)
- Prior correspondence with FAO regarding special circumstances, if applicable
- Personal Data Form
- Position Data/Appointment Forms, one set for the primary position, and one set for each additional position in myHR (e.g., secondary appointments, faculty administrative appointments, "NMG member" positions). Note: For NMG-employed candidates, the department should add the NMG set of Position Data/Appointment Forms to the appointment packet after they are signed by NMG (see step 4 above). Do not submit the appointment packet to FAO prior to obtaining NMG approval on the forms.