An outside appointment is any appointment (e.g., visiting, honorary, adjunct, etc.) at an educational institution outside of Northwestern or its affiliates, including foreign institutions.
- Faculty must obtain approval from their Department Chair and the Dean’s Office before accepting an appointment at an outside institution.
- Faculty must disclose any existing outside appointment in their annual disclosure survey for review by the Dean's Office.
- Faculty should forward a copy of the agreement/appointment letter from an outside institution to the Dean's Office for review to identify any potential red flags that should be addressed.
- Faculty cannot use Northwestern's name in any work done for the outside institution, except as a method of identification.
Request Approval to Obtain an Outside Appointment
- Faculty member completes the form titled Faculty Request to Obtain an Outside Appointment and provides to the Department Chair's Office for review.
- If supportive, the Chair signs the form and provides to their department administrator.
- The department administrator submits the signed form and related documentation to the Office for Regulatory Affairs (ORA) via the online request form.
- The Office for Regulatory Affairs communicates the outcome of the review process to the faculty member, Department Chair, and department administrator. If the outside appointment is approved, the Faculty Affairs Office will also be copied on the message and will follow up with the department to process any appointment actions related to the request (e.g., leave of absence).
Questions about this process should be directed to the Office for Regulatory Affairs (email@example.com).
Request Extension of an Approved Outside Appointment
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request an extension of an approved outside appointment.
- If details of the original appointment submission have not changed, the Office of Regulatory Affairs will extend the external appointment end date in Feinberg's database of outside appointments, and communicate approval of the extension to the faculty member, Department Chair, the department administrator, and the Faculty Affairs Office. FAO will follow up with the department to process any appointment actions related to the extension (e.g., extension of leave of absence).
- If details of the original appointment have changed, a new request for approval to obtain an outside appointment may need to be submitted.