Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine welcomes students from diverse backgrounds from the Class of 2021 to apply for senior elective rotations in the 2020-2021 academic year. Students will be matched with a faculty and resident advisor during the clerkship to provide mentorship and networking opportunities for rising 4th year medical students. Students will also be connected with members of the Northwestern McGaw Underrepresented Residents and Fellows Forum.
We are providing stipends of up to $1,000 to qualified students to help defray the cost of an away rotation. We define the following groups as underrepresented for all programs: Black (African/African American), Latino/Hispanic (Mexican American, Cuban, Puerto Rican, Central American, South American), Native American, Native Hawaiian, Pacific Islander, LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender), and students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds. Women are defined as underrepresented for: Orthopaedic Surgery, General Surgery, Neurosurgery, Urology, and Plastic Surgery.
Prospective students for the Visiting Elective Program for Students Underrepresented in Medicine:
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must be pursuing a medical degree at an LCME- or AOA-accredited medical school
- Must be in their final year of medical school
- Must be in good standing at their medical school
- Must have completed all core clerkships in Internal Medicine, Obstetrics/Gynecology, Pediatrics, and Surgery
- Must apply to rotate up to and including Block 20. Block 21 students may be considered pending available funds. Block 22 and all blocks afterwards are not eligible for the stipend.
Please complete the application (insert hyperlink to URL of new application please) and upload to VSAS. Attach additional pages for the essay questions, if necessary. This application must be complete and uploaded to VSAS before you submit your VSAS application. Please note that we cannot consider supplemental applications received after you are notified of an acceptance to an elective.
Students applying for the Stipend are encouraged to apply no less than three months in advance to assure adequate processing time for the supplemental application.
Acceptance to the Visiting Elective Program for Students Underrepresented in Medicine is contingent upon acceptance to the Visiting Student Program for a US Applicant.
Please contact email@example.com with any additional questions.