Skip to main content

Photo & Video

Whether you are hosting a media crew, hiring a film crew, or planning a photography session, the Office of Communications can help connect you with the resources you need. 

Hiring a Professional Crew

The Office of Communications does not have professional photographers or videographers on staff. If you have photo or video needs, use your department or center's marketing budget to hire an external photographer or videographer. We can help you get the ball rolling by recommending an appropriate vendor and guiding you through the process.  

For a general consultation prior to your project, we recommend filling out a project request form indicating your needs. If you can, please include your shoot's information, budget, goals and timeline, and we'll get back to you with recommendations.

One you are ready to engage an outside team, please refer to the Contracted Photographer & Videographer Policies page for information on hiring your vendor.  

Hosting a Journalist on Campus

If you are a member of the media and wish to film on Northwestern's campus, or, if you wish to host a journalist on campus for an on-site interview, please contact Media Relations by calling (847) 491-5001 or emailing, and we will assist you. Expressed permission is required before any reporting, filming or photography can take place on Northwestern's private property, and no visitors will be allowed into Feinberg buildings without a Northwestern escort.

Commercial Filming and Photograpy

All still photography and filming, other than that being done by news organizations for news purposes, is considered to be commercial work. This includes photography and filming for nonprofit organizations, weddings and engagement shoots. No external commercial photographers or videographers are allowed on campus at this time. 

Commercial filming and photgraphy protocol are managed by the University's Office of Global Marketing and Communications. 


COVID-19 Protocol Update, July 2021

  • Visitors (including journalists) no longer need to register their visits with risk management.
  • No external commercial photographers or videographers are allowed on campus at this time.
  • Vaccinated crews no longer are required to wear masks inside campus buildings.
  • Crews should follow the same health guidelines as community members.

Photography Releases

All non-University photographers must sign our photographer contract and collect and share signed photo release forms for any student, faculty member, staff person or member of the public who is visibly recognizable in their photographs. Crowd scenes where no single person is the dominant feature are exempt. In those instances, download and post this photo notice to indicate the event is being digitally documented.

These rules govern photographs and multimedia content intended for use online and/or in any University publication of a marketing or a public relations nature, such as newsletters, brochures and promotional items. They do not apply to photographs are taken at news events unless you plan to later reuse them in marketing materials. 

Be sure to review our photography guidelines and tips for great shots once your photo shoot is planned.

Video Releases

All non-University videographers working on University projects are also required to have their subjects sign a multimedia release form — there are separate versions for adults and minors

Your team must have a video insurance form on file before starting any video project. Contact Media Relations in the Office of Global Marketing and Communications for more information. Additionally, if you're working with a video crew on an external project that requires the use of campus space, you must secure approval well in advance of the planned visit.

Past Projects