Feinberg students, residents and fellows are doing some extraordinary things in the clinical spaces, research labs and out in the community. Here we share internal and external recognition they have received.
Feinberg News Center
For all the news on Feinberg discoveries and campus activity, visit our News Center.
- Incoming Medical Students Celebrate Founders’ DayFounders’ Day welcomes first-year medical students to campus, honors Feinberg’s founders and marks the official start of the academic year.
- PT Students Help Get Kids On the Move for Go Baby GoWith help from students in the Department of Physical Therapy and Human Movement Sciences (PTHMS), and support from McCormick School of Engineering, a group of toddlers took electric cars for a spin at Northwestern as part of the Go Baby Go program.
- Medical Student Investigates Opioids in IllinoisJessica Wang, a rising fourth-year student in the MD/MPH dual degree program, became interested in the opioid crisis during a public health class, and has continued to investigate the topic in addition to a wealth of other extracurriculars.
- Training the Next Generation of Health Disparity ResearchersThe Northwestern University Minority Health and Health Disparities Research Training Program, funded by the National Institutes of Health, will provide health disparities research training experiences to minority and other underrepresented students and trainees.
- Clinical Care or Research? Third-year Student Chooses BothJordan Sell, a rising third-year student, has taken advantage of the wide range of opportunities at Feinberg.
- Medical Student Supports Public Health, Patient Companionship InitiativesBecca Sinard, a student in Feinberg’s MD/MPH Combined Degree Program, is dedicated to improving human health across the spectrum.
- Medical Student Enhances Clinical Training With MBA and Global Health ExperienceRecent graduate Pamela Wax, ’19 MD, ’19 MBA, shares what she loves about Northwestern and how she plans to apply her MBA degree to her training in internal medicine.
- Physical Therapy Students Celebrate Transition to the ClinicFirst-year Doctor of Physical Therapy students celebrated their transition from academic coursework to clinical experience at the 13th annual Clinical Practice Ceremony.
- Health Sciences PhD Student Awarded Presidential FellowshipLindsay Zimmerman, a doctoral student investigating social determinants of cardiovascular health, was recently named a Northwestern University Presidential Fellow.
- MD/PhD Student Stays Engaged With Student Development, Advocacy InitiativesRadhika Rawat, a student in the Medical Scientist Training Program, discusses how she plays an active role in the medical school and maintains balance outside of her MD/PhD studies.
- Student Promotes Preventive Medicine at FeinbergMedical student Shahzeb Hassan founded a preventive medicine student interest group at Feinberg and also co-authored a recent piece in JAMA Internal Medicine about precision preventive medicine.
- New Program Connects PhD Students With CliniciansIn a new clinical exposure program, doctoral students in the Driskill Graduate Program in Life Sciences partner with clinicians at Lurie Children’s Hospital to forge connections between basic and clinical research efforts.
- Honoring the Class of 2019Feinberg celebrated the class of 2019 at the school’s 160th commencement ceremony, held at the Aon Grand Ballroom at Navy Pier on May 20.
- Honors Day Celebrates Student and Faculty ExcellenceFeinberg graduating medical students and faculty members were recognized for their academic and teaching excellence at the seventh annual Honors Day celebration.
- Physician Assistant Students Present Capstone Research ProjectsStudents in the Physician Assistant Program capped off their second year with presentations on clinical literature reviews.
- Students, Residents Travel to Support Diversity in MedicineStudents, residents, faculty and staff recently traveled to Philadelphia to attend the Student National Medical Association annual conference for current and future underrepresented minority medical students.
- Student Investigates Lifetime Hypertension Risk Under New GuidelinesVincent Chen, a fourth-year medical student, was the first author of a study that estimated the lifetime risk for hypertension under new blood pressure thresholds.
- Northwestern Pipeline Programs Inspire the Next Generation of Physicians and ScientistsNorthwestern contributes to several programs that engage young learners in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) education activities and helps them explore the many career opportunities in medicine and biomedical research.
- ‘Disabusing Disability’ at Diversity and Inclusion LectureOluwaferanmi Okanlami, MD, MS, shared perspectives on disability in medicine and promoting a more inclusive and accessible health system during the Spring Diversity and Inclusion Lyceum Lecture.
- Medical Student Measures Political Engagement at Medical Schools NationwideJordan Rook, a fourth-year student, measured medical students’ views on healthcare reform and political engagement, publishing the findings in the journal Academic Medicine.
- Student Investigates Statin Use in People With HIVRobert Riestenberg, a third-year medical student, was the first author of a recent study that evaluated statin use among people with HIV, a population at an increased risk for cardiovascular disease.
- Prospective Medical Students Return to Northwestern for Second LookAt Feinberg’s annual Second Look event, admitted students get a taste of life at Feinberg by attending seminars, touring campus and meeting with current students and faculty.
- Community Volunteers Help Teach Physical Therapy Students Alongside NUPOC Faculty and AlumniNearly 100 second-year Doctor of Physical Therapy students recently participated in learning experience with volunteer community members and Northwestern faculty members.
- Celebrating Scientific Discovery at Research Day 2019More than 450 scientists, trainees, students and faculty presented posters and abstracts at Feinberg’s 15th Annual Lewis Landsberg Research day — the largest celebration of scientific investigation at Feinberg to date.
- Student Tackles Strategic Problems in HealthcareAndrew Furman, a third-year student in the MD-MBA dual-degree program, has worked with Erie Family Health Centers as part of his participation in Second Opinions, a pro-bono healthcare consulting student organization.
- Addressing Racial and Gender Biases in HealthcareIn a recent lecture, Dana Thompson, MD, MS, chief of Pediatric Otolaryngology, discussed the negative impacts of implicit and explicit bias on healthcare teams and shared strategies to effectively manage instances of bias.
- Medical Students Celebrate Match Day 2019On Match Day, fourth-year medical students learned where they will spend the next phase of their medical careers.
- Medical Honor Society Welcomes 2019 InducteesForty new members were inducted into Northwestern’s chapter of the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society during a ceremony on March 12.
- Student Investigates Local Food Environment and Heart Disease RiskJulie Kelman, a third-year medical student, was the first author of a study that found an association between neighborhood density of convenience stores and the development of coronary artery calcification.
- Continuity of Care, Across Chicago’s CommunitiesIn the Education-Centered Medical Home program, Feinberg students learn to provide primary care to vulnerable populations living in Chicago.
Prospective Student Newsletter
Prospective students of the Feinberg School of Medicine (those who have either interviewed or have been invited to interview) receive an exclusive monthly e-newsletter from the Office of Admissions, called Feinberg 411.