Feinberg students, residents and fellows are doing some extraordinary things in the clinical spaces, research labs and out in the community. Here we share internal and external recognition they have received.
Feinberg News Center
For all the news on Feinberg discoveries and campus activity, visit our News Center.
- Charting a Path for Women in MedicineThe second annual Women in Medicine symposium brought together Northwestern educators, scientists, trainees and students to highlight pioneering women and challenges still faced today.
- Medical Students Present Research Projects at AOSC Poster SessionSecond-year medical students shared results from their ongoing Area of Scholarly Concentration (AOSC) research projects at a recent poster session.
- Medical Education Day Celebrates Innovation, Inclusivity and Educational ExcellenceFeinberg faculty and students celebrated the ninth annual Medical Education Day at the Robert H. Lurie Medical Research Center with sessions, lectures and workshops that examined the future of medical education.
- Northwestern Faculty Help Local Student-Inventors Test Winning ConceptsThree Chicagoland high school students created the PeelTowel, a citrus peel-based, anti-microbial paper towel, and tested it in the laboratory of Alan Hauser, MD, PhD, vice chair of the Department of Microbiology-Immunology.
- Feinberg Welcomes New PhD StudentsNew PhD students from around the world have arrived on the Chicago campus to join several of the PhD programs on campus, including the Driskill Graduate Program in the Life Sciences, Northwestern University Interdepartmental Neuroscience program, Medical Scientist Training Program, Clinical Psychology PhD Program and Health Sciences Integrated PhD Program.
- Chaplain Turned Medical Student Stays Active in Community EngagementJordan Coleman, a third-year medical student, previously worked as a chaplain in prisons, homeless shelters and hospitals — an experience that enhances his clinical experiences today.
- Driskill Day 2019: Achievements in Life SciencesStudents, faculty and staff gathered to celebrate the Driskill Graduate Program in Life Sciences, welcoming new students and recognizing distinguished upperclassmen and graduates.
- Examining the Ethics and Health Inequalities of Overseas HIV TrialsA recent campus talk explored how clinical trials of HIV/AIDS drugs in developing countries in the 90s sparked a wealth of discussions about ethics in scientific investigation and barriers to healthcare access.
- Incoming Medical Students Celebrate Founders’ DayFounders’ Day welcomes first-year medical students to campus, honors Feinberg’s founders and marks the official start of the academic year.
- PT Students Help Get Kids On the Move for Go Baby GoWith help from students in the Department of Physical Therapy and Human Movement Sciences (PTHMS), and support from McCormick School of Engineering, a group of toddlers took electric cars for a spin at Northwestern as part of the Go Baby Go program.
- Medical Student Investigates Opioids in IllinoisJessica Wang, a rising fourth-year student in the MD/MPH dual degree program, became interested in the opioid crisis during a public health class, and has continued to investigate the topic in addition to a wealth of other extracurriculars.
- Training the Next Generation of Health Disparity ResearchersThe Northwestern University Minority Health and Health Disparities Research Training Program, funded by the National Institutes of Health, will provide health disparities research training experiences to minority and other underrepresented students and trainees.
- Medical Student Pursues Glioblastoma Treatments in the LabMedical student Shivani Baisiwala investigates glioblastoma in the laboratory of Atique Ahmed, PhD, while also pursuing pro-bono healthcare consulting and finding time to explore Chicago’s neighborhoods.
- Clinical Care or Research? Third-year Student Chooses BothJordan Sell, a rising third-year student, has taken advantage of the wide range of opportunities at Feinberg.
- Medical Student Supports Public Health, Patient Companionship InitiativesBecca Sinard, a student in Feinberg’s MD/MPH Combined Degree Program, is dedicated to improving human health across the spectrum.
- Medical Student Enhances Clinical Training With MBA and Global Health ExperienceRecent graduate Pamela Wax, ’19 MD, ’19 MBA, shares what she loves about Northwestern and how she plans to apply her MBA degree to her training in internal medicine.
- Physical Therapy Students Celebrate Transition to the ClinicFirst-year Doctor of Physical Therapy students celebrated their transition from academic coursework to clinical experience at the 13th annual Clinical Practice Ceremony.
- Health Sciences PhD Student Awarded Presidential FellowshipLindsay Zimmerman, a doctoral student investigating social determinants of cardiovascular health, was recently named a Northwestern University Presidential Fellow.
- MD/PhD Student Stays Engaged With Student Development, Advocacy InitiativesRadhika Rawat, a student in the Medical Scientist Training Program, discusses how she plays an active role in the medical school and maintains balance outside of her MD/PhD studies.
- Student Promotes Preventive Medicine at FeinbergMedical student Shahzeb Hassan founded a preventive medicine student interest group at Feinberg and also co-authored a recent piece in JAMA Internal Medicine about precision preventive medicine.
- New Program Connects PhD Students With CliniciansIn a new clinical exposure program, doctoral students in the Driskill Graduate Program in Life Sciences partner with clinicians at Lurie Children’s Hospital to forge connections between basic and clinical research efforts.
- Honoring the Class of 2019Feinberg celebrated the class of 2019 at the school’s 160th commencement ceremony, held at the Aon Grand Ballroom at Navy Pier on May 20.
- Honors Day Celebrates Student and Faculty ExcellenceFeinberg graduating medical students and faculty members were recognized for their academic and teaching excellence at the seventh annual Honors Day celebration.
- Physician Assistant Students Present Capstone Research ProjectsStudents in the Physician Assistant Program capped off their second year with presentations on clinical literature reviews.
- Students, Residents Travel to Support Diversity in MedicineStudents, residents, faculty and staff recently traveled to Philadelphia to attend the Student National Medical Association annual conference for current and future underrepresented minority medical students.
- Student Investigates Lifetime Hypertension Risk Under New GuidelinesVincent Chen, a fourth-year medical student, was the first author of a study that estimated the lifetime risk for hypertension under new blood pressure thresholds.
- Northwestern Pipeline Programs Inspire the Next Generation of Physicians and ScientistsNorthwestern contributes to several programs that engage young learners in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) education activities and helps them explore the many career opportunities in medicine and biomedical research.
- ‘Disabusing Disability’ at Diversity and Inclusion LectureOluwaferanmi Okanlami, MD, MS, shared perspectives on disability in medicine and promoting a more inclusive and accessible health system during the Spring Diversity and Inclusion Lyceum Lecture.
- Medical Student Measures Political Engagement at Medical Schools NationwideJordan Rook, a fourth-year student, measured medical students’ views on healthcare reform and political engagement, publishing the findings in the journal Academic Medicine.
- Student Investigates Statin Use in People With HIVRobert Riestenberg, a third-year medical student, was the first author of a recent study that evaluated statin use among people with HIV, a population at an increased risk for cardiovascular disease.
Prospective Student Newsletter
Prospective students of the Feinberg School of Medicine (those who have either interviewed or have been invited to interview) receive an exclusive monthly e-newsletter from the Office of Admissions, called Feinberg 411.