The Department of Neurological Surgery participates in an internationally recognized integrated spine program. Working with the Departments of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Orthopedic Surgery and Neurology and the Divisions of Neuroradiology and Neuropsychology, we provide a multidisciplinary approach to managing spine disease. The Division of Spinal Surgery offers programs for the management of spinal deformity, spine oncology, degenerative disease, minimally invasive spine surgery, and rheumatologic disorders of the spine. These specific programs are directed by experts in the field and complement the management of routine disorders of the spine.
The department hosts multiple academic conferences related to the management and treatment of spinal column and cord disorders. Through our affiliated hospitals and care sites, residents and fellows are trained in comprehensive management and treatment of spine disorders. Residents and fellows participate in both simulation skills and cadaver labs to master traditional surgical approaches as well as minimally invasive surgical techniques.
Our department conducts diverse research, including clinical trials, technology development, and basic research.
Current Clinical Trials and Technological Development Work
- A Post-Approval Investigation of the BRYAN® Cervical Disc Device at a Single Level for Symptomatic Cervical Disc Disease
- Long Term Follow-Up of Subjects Who Received GRNOPC1
- A Multicenter Prospective Study of Quality of Life in Adult Scoliosis
- Proximal Junctional Kyphosis (PJK) and Proximal Junctional Failure (PJF) Following Spinal Arthrodesis; Evaluation, Prevention and Treatment Strategies
- DuraSeal™ Exact Spine Sealant System Post-Approval Study
Basic Science Activities
- Cranial Cervical Balance Study
- Spine Deformity and Scoliosis
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Spinal Fractures and Traumatic injuries
- Spine Oncology
Pediatric spine disorders are managed by faculty members at Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago, including:
- Idiopathic and congenital scoliosis
Through the Acute Spinal Cord Injury Center of Northwestern Memorial Hospital and the Shirley Ryan AbilityLab, our faculty participates in the Midwest Regional Spinal Cord Injury Care System, to treat conditions such as:
- Fractures of the thoracic and lumbar spine
- Spondylosis and spondylolisthesis
Through collaboration with the Robert H Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center, our faculty provide world class care in the management of metastatic and primary tumors of the spine.
Meet the Faculty
Learn more about our doctors via faculty profiles:
George R. Cybulski, MD
Nader S. Dahdaleh, MD
Aruna Ganju, MD
Tyler R. Koski, MD
Zachary A. Smith, MD
JP Jean-Paul Wolinsky, MD
Tord D. Alden, MD
Robin M. Bowman, MD
Arthur J. DiPatri, MD