The Pediatric Neurosurgery specialty focuses on education and research related to medical and surgical treatments for many infant and childhood neurological conditions and syndromes.
The department hosts multiple academic events related to pediatric neurosurgery topics every year. Through clinical rotations at Ann and Robert Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago, residents and fellows work closely with faculty on the medical and surgical treatment of patients with congenital, degenerative, vascular, inflammatory, traumatic and neoplastic disorders of the central and peripheral nervous system.
Our department conducts diverse research, including clinical trials, technology development, and basic research.
Current Clinical Trials and Technological Development Work
- Pediatric Brain Tumor Consortium clinical trials
- A Phase I Study of AdV-tk + Prodrug Therapy in Combination with Radiation
- Collection and Banking of CNS Tumor Specimens for Biologic Research Studies
- Syringomyelia / Chiari National DB Registry
Basic Science Activities
- Molecular diagnosis and therapy of Neural tube defects
- Cytogenetic and molecular epigenetic studies on pediatric brain tumors
- Interstitial convection enhanced chemotherapy for pediatric brain tumors
- Integrated molecular analysis of pediatric low grade gliomas
Our faculty offers excellent care for a wide variety of conditions involving the brain and nervous system through our affiliated pediatric hospital, Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago, including:
- Arteriovenous Malformations
- Brachial Plexus
- Brain Tumor
- Cerebral Aneurysm
- Cerebral Palsy
- Head Trauma
- Moyamoya Disease
- Pediatric Epilepsy
- Spina Bifida
- Strokes in Children
- Tethered Cord
- Vein of Galen Malformations
The Falk Brain Tumor Center ranks among the top pediatric centers in the world for pediatric brain tumor diagnosis and treatment.
Meet the Faculty
Learn more about our doctors via faculty profiles:Tord D. Alden, MD
Robin Bowman, MD
Arthur J. DiPatri, MD
Amanda Muhs Saratsis, MD
Tadanori Tomita, MD